[comp.sys.mac.hardware] SE quits

<3IU4TOB@CMUVM.BITNET> (06/10/91)

My SE is giving me fits(2M, HD40). It may run OK forseveral hours, but then it
suddenly resets, just as if the programmer's interrupt had been pressed. It did
 this once several days ago and then failed to turn on in the morning (no disk
spin up, black screen.) We had the power supply replaced and it appeared to be
fixed, but shortly thereafter the symptoms came back. Next, we replaced the ana
log board. It ran ok for a number of hours and then, Bingo, it reset several ti
mes in a row. I have also tried a different surge protector and have asked if a
nyone else in the building is having any problems. No clues so far. Has anyone
experienced anything like this and know a possible cause?

stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) (06/12/91)

In article <91161.1641223IU4TOB@CMUVM.BITNET>, <3IU4TOB@CMUVM.BITNET> writes:
> My SE is giving me fits(2M, HD40). It may run OK forseveral
> hours, but then it suddenly resets, just as if the programmer's
> interrupt had been pressed. It did this once several days ago and
> then failed to turn on in the morning (no disk spin up, black
> screen.) We had the power supply replaced and it appeared to be
> fixed, but shortly thereafter the symptoms came back. Next, we
> replaced the ana log board. It ran ok for a number of hours and
> then, Bingo, it reset several ti mes in a row. I have also tried
> a different surge protector and have asked if a nyone else in the
> building is having any problems. No clues so far. Has anyone
> experienced anything like this and know a possible cause?

It might be a RAM problem. I used to have an SE, and when I
upgraded it to 4M, one of the SIMMs I got was faulty. The end
result was that I could reset the machine by tapping lightly on
the side of the SE. However, I also got a sad mac at startup
time, which you aren't. It might be worth checking though.

--
See ya
                                Nigel.