[comp.sys.mac.hardware] IIsi NuBus adaptor...in an SE/30???

weiss@babbage.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (06/10/91)

I just thought of something...someone mentioned that the IIsi NuBus adaptor
hooks up to what actually is a PDS in the si.  Does that mean that you
could hook it up to an SE/30 and get yourself a NuBus port in there???
--
\ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | /
-  Michael  weiss@seas.ucla.edu   |  School of Engineering & Applied Science  -

tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) (06/11/91)

In article <3062@lee.SEAS.UCLA.EDU>, weiss@babbage.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) writes:
> I just thought of something...someone mentioned that the IIsi NuBus adaptor
> hooks up to what actually is a PDS in the si.  Does that mean that you
> could hook it up to an SE/30 and get yourself a NuBus port in there???
> --
> \ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | /
> -  Michael  weiss@seas.ucla.edu   |  School of Engineering & Applied Science  -
> -   Weiss   izzydp5@oac.ucla.edu  |   University of California, Los Angeles   -
> / | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | \

Important Note:

The SE/30 PDS and IIsi PDS are both called Processor Direct Slots, but they are
different!!  Mixing and matching cards will cause very bad results.

Jason Garms
tgoose@eng.umd.edu

kgustilo@pennsy.med.jhu.edu (06/11/91)

writes:
>I just thought of something...someone mentioned that the IIsi NuBus adaptor
>hooks up to what actually is a PDS in the si.  Does that mean that you
>could hook it up to an SE/30 and get yourself a NuBus port in there???
>--
sounds like the wrong thing to do

watch this space

rroberts@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Ross Allan Roberts) (06/11/91)

>> I just thought of something...someone mentioned that the IIsi NuBus adaptor
>> hooks up to what actually is a PDS in the si.  Does that mean that you
>> could hook it up to an SE/30 and get yourself a NuBus port in there???
>Important Note:
>
>The SE/30 PDS and IIsi PDS are both called Processor Direct Slots, but they are
>different!!  Mixing and matching cards will cause very bad results.
>
>Jason Garms

I thought the Apple rep who demo'ed the si when it came out said the si
could accept SE/30 cards in its PDS, but it was different from the LC PDS
which is different from the Portable PDS... and unsure about the converse
(si-->SE/30). I'm pretty sure the si can take /30 cards, though it may need
the adaptor board to lay them over on their side...

*Ross Roberts <rroberts@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>|DoD#0340, awaiting that F2 *
*'The price of meat has just gone up, and yer old lady has just gone down... '*
*---------------------------------------------------"Cosmik Debris"----Zappa--*
*Post it! You're only costing the net hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars..*

tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun10.201324.22014@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, rroberts@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Ross Allan Roberts) writes:
> >> I just thought of something...someone mentioned that the IIsi NuBus adaptor
> >> hooks up to what actually is a PDS in the si.  Does that mean that you
> >> could hook it up to an SE/30 and get yourself a NuBus port in there???
> >Important Note:
> >
> >The SE/30 PDS and IIsi PDS are both called Processor Direct Slots, but they are
> >different!!  Mixing and matching cards will cause very bad results.
> >
> >Jason Garms
>
> I thought the Apple rep who demo'ed the si when it came out said the si
> could accept SE/30 cards in its PDS, but it was different from the LC PDS
> which is different from the Portable PDS... and unsure about the converse
> (si-->SE/30). I'm pretty sure the si can take /30 cards, though it may need
> the adaptor board to lay them over on their side...

> *Ross Roberts <rroberts@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>|DoD#0340, awaiting that F2 *
> *'The price of meat has just gone up, and yer old lady has just gone down... '*
> *---------------------------------------------------"Cosmik Debris"----Zappa--*
> *Post it! You're only costing the net hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars..*

The IIsi can take SE/30 boards with the adaptor.  From my understanding
the adaptor card does more than just lay the board on the side.  Unfortunatly
I haven't read enough about the subject.

Jason Garms
tgoose@@eng.umd.edu

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (06/12/91)

tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) writes:

}>>> I just thought of something...someone mentioned that the IIsi NuBus adaptor
}>>> hooks up to what actually is a PDS in the si.  Does that mean that you
}>>> could hook it up to an SE/30 and get yourself a NuBus port in there???
}>>
}>>The SE/30 PDS and IIsi PDS are both called Processor Direct Slots, but they
}>>are different!!  Mixing and matching cards will cause very bad results.
}>
}> I thought the Apple rep who demo'ed the si when it came out said the si
}> could accept SE/30 cards in its PDS, but it was different from the LC PDS
}> which is different from the Portable PDS... and unsure about the converse
}> (si-->SE/30). I'm pretty sure the si can take /30 cards, though it may need
}> the adaptor board to lay them over on their side...
}>
}The IIsi can take SE/30 boards with the adaptor.  From my understanding
}the adaptor card does more than just lay the board on the side.

OK, let's clear this up.  Yes, the PDS in the SE/30 and IIsi is different
from all other Mac PDS slots, which are all different from each other as
well (the Portable PDS, the LC PDS, the IIci PDS, and the IIfx PDS).

And, while it is true that boards designed for the SE/30 *MAY* not work in
the IIsi, boards designed since the IIsi spec was available should work in
either one.  Of course you should ALWAYS check with the appropriate manu-
facturer to make sure they've tested the particular board in question in the
machine in question.

The original specifications for the SE/30 slot had two clock line details
reversed.  One was just a 16 MHz clock, and one was the system clock.  So,
it didn't matter at the time.  However, when the IIsi came out, suddenly it
did matter.  The system clock in the SE/30 is 16 MHz, but the one in the
IIsi is 20 MHz.  Big difference.

Radius revised the TPD interface and the Pivot interface to work with the
IIsi, and (the new boards) also work in the SE/30.  The Color Pivot interface
will also work in either machine, but we also have a IIsi-specific interface
for Color Pivot which is the size of a PDS adapter and includes a pass-through
PDS socket.  Due to board size issues this board will not work in an SE/30,
nor would it be practical to try to use this OR ANY OTHER IIsi adapter in an
SE/30, since there's no physical space for any board that you might plug into
it (PDS, NuBus, or otherwise).  Lastly, the NuBus adapter might need the 20
Mhz system clock of the IIsi which is not present in the SE/30.

Lastly, the PDS adapter is basically just a straight-through board that allows
you to lay a regular PDS board across the top of the IIsi, and it also has a
place to plug in a math coprocessor.  PDS boards that are designed to work in
the IIsi can be used without the adapter board, but you (A) lose the math
coprocessor, and (B) can't put the top on the machine, except in a few cases
like Asante's ethernet board and perhaps a few other boards that are small
enough to plug straight into the motherboard (such as the IIsi special edition
Color Pivot interface card described above).

DISCLAIMER: If you blow something up, don't come crying to me or to Radius. :-)

--
----- Steve Lemke, KC6QDT - Software Engineering, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: lemke@radius.com -- U.C. Santa Barbara ECE Class of '89 -----