[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Radius Rocket Experience?

mo@well.sf.ca.us (Maurice Weitman) (06/11/91)

Alright, I'll admit it: I'm hooked by the prospects of having my
IIx fly with the big boys and can't (won't?) wait for the Apple
'040 boxes.  I'd like to find out what others have experienced
with their Rockets, or what alternatives there might be.  I'm
thinking Rocket because of its QuickDraw acceleration, but also
on my mind is compatibility, both with System 7 (which I
understand Radius will address with a software fix by the end of
the month), as well as other hardware (EtherNet boards and SCSI
devices like scanners and disk/tape drives) and software.

Or should I wait for Apple's October surprise?

--
Maurice Weitman  mo@well.sf.ca.us  ..!{hplabs,pacbell,apple,ucbvax}!well!mo
 | <- this is not a pipe  1634 Walnut  Berkeley, CA  94709  (415)549-0280
Quote:  "Facts are stupid things."  Ronald Wilson Reagan, New Orleans, 1988
Disclaimer:  Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (06/12/91)

mo@well.sf.ca.us (Maurice Weitman) writes:

>Alright, I'll admit it: I'm hooked by the prospects of having my
>IIx fly with the big boys and can't (won't?) wait for the Apple
>'040 boxes.  I'd like to find out what others have experienced
>with their Rockets, or what alternatives there might be.  I'm
>thinking Rocket because of its QuickDraw acceleration, but also
>on my mind is compatibility, both with System 7 (which I
>understand Radius will address with a software fix by the end of
>the month), as well as other hardware (EtherNet boards and SCSI
>devices like scanners and disk/tape drives) and software.

Well, as I type this message, I'm running System 7.0 on a Mac IIx, with a
Rocket, a Kinetics EtherPort II (through which I'm running TCP/Connect II
to telnet into a NeXT machine), and I have an external MicroNet 45mb Syquist
drive onto which I back up my system using DiskFit 2.0.  No problems here...

In fact, this setup seems more stable to me than non-Rocket, System 6.0.x
configurations that I used to run.  And yes, the QuickDraw acceleration is
very nice - it makes 8-bit mode at least as fast as unaccelerated 1-bit mode.

>Or should I wait for Apple's October surprise?

Do you really think you're going to be able to upgrade to a new machine from
Apple for $3000?  (Or less?  I've seen Rocket mail-ordered for close to $2K.)

NOTE:  No, we are *NOT* quite ready to release the System 7.0 upgrade for
Rocket, but we're getting close.  I've been using it for a while now, and
haven't really seen any problems.  There is still a little bit more work to
be done and more testing before we ship, but it's looking pretty good so far.

NOTE 2:  If you have a Rocket and would like me to put you on an electronic
mailing list to automatically receive the System 7.0 update for Rocket via
email, send your request to "lemke@radius.com".  Also indicate if you'd be
interested in a near-final beta pre-release, which could quite conceivably
become the release version, but otherwise carries all of the usual beta
disclaimers.

NOTE 3:  RadiusWare 2.0, QuickColor 1.7, Soft Pivot 1.2, and Radius/GX 1.2
are all now *officially* released, and are available on AppleLink and
CompuServe, as well as from Radius Technical Support at (408) 434-1012.
I will be posting all of this new software to comp.binaries.mac soon...

--
----- Steve Lemke, KC6QDT - Software Engineering, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: lemke@radius.com -- U.C. Santa Barbara ECE Class of '89 -----