[comp.sys.mac.hardware] LC upgrade

jonker@amc.uva.nl (06/11/91)

in article <1991Jun7.130713.26470@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> (Terry Lee Thiel)
writes
>>which means there will be upgrades available someday.

>MacWeek says that Apple will have a 68030 upgrade available for the LC
>and the Classic sometime this fall.
"update"
will this mean that the '020 version will be replaced by a '030 version,
or will be upgraded by a chipset to be plugged in the '020 socket
or will there be a PDB expansion card?
In other words: buy now and upgrade in fall or wait a little for a
'new model'
ard

dcall@mithril.wr.tek.com (Dale Call) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.091454.236@amc.uva.nl>, jonker@amc.uva.nl writes:
|> in article <1991Jun7.130713.26470@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> (Terry Lee Thiel)
|> writes
|>
|> >MacWeek says that Apple will have a 68030 upgrade available for the LC
|> >and the Classic sometime this fall.
|> "update"
|> will this mean that the '020 version will be replaced by a '030 version,
|> or will be upgraded by a chipset to be plugged in the '020 socket
|> or will there be a PDB expansion card?
|> In other words: buy now and upgrade in fall or wait a little for a
|> 'new model'

The 68020 in the LC is surface mounted, soldered directly on the board,
so there is no socket to plug into.  An upgrade might be a board for the
PDS slot, but I suspect it will be a new CPU board altogether.  And it is
likely to be a 68EC030, since it is much cheaper than either 68020's or
68030's.  This part is in a plastic package, uses less power, and doesn't
include the MMU normally found on a 68030.  If this is what Apple uses,
there is no point in waiting, the newer model will have roughly the same
performance as the existing one, it will just be cheaper to build.

Dale

 "Exterminate!  Exterminate!"

     /~\-*
     ###--<