[comp.sys.mac.hardware] DeskWriter 2.1 driver and Vm

dcmyers@astro.umd.edu (David Myers) (06/11/91)

Anyone encountered problems with the DeskWriter 2.1 driver
(the newest) and Sys 7 virtual memory? When printing from
most applications, especially Word and sometimes PageMaker
4, the printer just stops after a while, saying something
like "DTR buffer overflow". Usually happens after 1/3 of
a page or so. Once VM is off, things work fine.

System: SE/30 5M 40M internal
SyQuest cartridge drive
non-AppleTalk Deskwriter
8 megs virtual memory

-dave.

6500wong@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Ki Ching Wong) (06/11/91)

In article <8696@umd5.umd.edu> dcmyers@astro.umd.edu (David Myers) writes:

>Anyone encountered problems with the DeskWriter 2.1 driver
>(the newest) and Sys 7 virtual memory? When printing from
>most applications, especially Word and sometimes PageMaker
>4, the printer just stops after a while, saying something
>like "DTR buffer overflow". Usually happens after 1/3 of
>a page or so. Once VM is off, things work fine.

>System: SE/30 5M 40M internal
>SyQuest cartridge drive
>non-AppleTalk Deskwriter
>8 megs virtual memory

>-dave.

Yup!  The driver won't work with VM on.  The HP people say
they are working on it, but they seem to be not quite sure
if the problem is with System 7 or the driver.  So, an
upgrade/fix is uncertain.
However, it seems to work fine if you turn BOTH VM and 32-bit
addressing ON.  I haven't done extensive testing on that but
I've printed something with no trouble at all.
Good luck!

-Ki Wong
6500wong@ucsbuxa.

stevem@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Steve Miller) (06/11/91)

>Anyone encountered problems with the DeskWriter 2.1 driver
>(the newest) and Sys 7 virtual memory?

The DeskWriter uses DTR handshaking at 57.6Kbaud and unfortunately
the Macintosh does not reliably handshake at 57.6Kbaud under
virtual memory.   Until this is fixed or a workaround is done to the
DeskWriter driver, turn off virtual memory.

Steven Miller
Vancouver Division
Hewlett Packard

stevem@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Steve Miller) (06/11/91)

I forgot to mention that AppleTalk works just fine with Virtual Memory under
system 7.0 with the DeskWriter.  Until this problem is resolved, this
will allow you to use VM with the DW under 7.0.

Also, turning on 32-bit appears to make serial handshaking more reliable,
although I don't know if it fixes the problem or just makes it much
less frequent.  The problem with 32-bit mode is that not all applications
support it and only about half of the machines that can run VM can also
run in 32-bit "clean" mode.

Steven Miller
Vancouver Division
Hewlett Packard
----------

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (06/12/91)

In article <1170037@hp-vcd.HP.COM>, stevem@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Steve Miller) writes...
>virtual memory.   Until this is fixed or a workaround is done to the
>DeskWriter driver, turn off virtual memory.

Can't you also simply run under Appletalk to fix the problem?

Richard C. Long | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Selfware: If you like
--------------- | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | this program, send
A First Edition | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | yourself five bucks!

tlt38517@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Terry Lee Thiel) (06/12/91)

>I forgot to mention that AppleTalk works just fine with Virtual Memory under
system 7.0 with the DeskWriter.

What do I need to connect my SE/30 to my DW via Appletalk?  I won't have
anything else hooked up to either one, I just want to be able to use VM.  Isn't
Appletalk going to cause my printer to print slower?  And finally is this
a very expensive solution to the VM problem?

Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) (06/13/91)

SM> From: stevem@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Steve Miller)

SM> I forgot to mention that AppleTalk works just fine with Virtual Memory
SM> under system 7.0 with the DeskWriter.  Until this problem is resolved, this
SM> will allow you to use VM with the DW under 7.0.

      I have one of the original DW's, from before they had AppleTalk.
      Is there any way to get an upgrade? (Useful both for this and for
      Freedom of the Press.)

 * Origin: Woof alpha test point (1:109/421.4218)