[comp.sys.mac.hardware] IIsi, Cache, video, & speed

v113px6j@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Thomas A Overfield) (06/14/91)

I've seen all these postings telling of how raising the memory cache
increases the speed of a IIsi.  I've tried it myself and I'm not sure
if I notice a difference or if it's "all in my head".  Speedometer
tells me there is no difference in speed, as I expected, since it's
only performing tests on the chip.  So how what do I use to measure
performance in this situation?  Other's have said they have seen
improvements, what did they use to test it?

tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu (Todd Green) (06/15/91)

In article <79997@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v113px6j@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>performance in this situation?  Other's have said they have seen
>improvements, what did they use to test it?

I used my eyes.  I was recently given a IIsi, perhaps allocated is a
better term.  Anyway, I was amazed at how slow it was in comparison to
the IIcx I have at home.  After upping the cache to 768K (lower
amounts didn't matter and I'm not running any inits on the machine
besides SuperClock), I noticed a very significant speed increase in
drawing operations. i.e. menus snapped down faster, windows opened
quicker, redraws didn't take as long etc etc.  There was a definite
visible difference in the performance of the machine.  I haven't had
time to do tests to see how it affects others logging onto your
machine etc. (I know before I set the cache just having one person
access my machine over the net made it almost unusable during file
transfers. )  I believe the machine has a Quantum 40 in it and 5 meg,
but haven't had time to open the machine to look at the drive yet (or
get SCSI probe etc etc.)

Todd
--
Internet: tagreen@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu