[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Backing up several Macs on a network

doug@clarity.Princeton.EDU (Douglas Merrill) (06/13/91)

Hi to all...

At our lab, we have 4 Mac IIfx's hooked together using
Appletalk.  We are developing a large software package
using all of the machines, and (naturally enough) need
to back them up.  Previously, we had been backing them
all up via a Kinetics box to our Suns, but this has
proved problematic.  We would like to hook up some
hardware to one of the macs and back up to it
(incrementally), if possible.  However, when we
go for advice on what to buy, we have received
*lots* of contradictory advice!  We would prefer
to not use an external hard disk (as some of
us are afraid of head crashes), but noone
seems to have any better ideas...

So, we come to you NetLanders -- can someone out there
e-mail me with hardware &/or software suggestions to
solve this problem?  If there's sufficient interest,
I'll post a summary.

Sorry if this is a FAQ!

Douglas Merrill
doug@clarity.princeton.edu
Princeton University Cognitive Science Lab

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (06/14/91)

In <DOUG.91Jun12202334@clarity.princeton.edu> doug@clarity.Princeton.EDU (Douglas Merrill) writes:

>At our lab, we have 4 Mac IIfx's hooked together using
>Appletalk.  We are developing a large software package
>using all of the machines, and (naturally enough) need
>to back them up.

I just got a 2.2 gig Exabyte tape drive for backing up 25 devices over
LocalTalk. This is probably much more than you need, but I'm very happy
with performance. Tapes are 8mm video and are readily available for
cheap.  The preferred tape here is Sony P6-120MP.

Retrospect remote is the software of choice for this. You will need to
study the manual a bit and fiddle around until you're comfortable with
your setup, but after that, it's smooth sailing. Retrospect is cool for
your application because it can keep versions of your development
project. In other words, you don't need to keep backing up just the
most recent work but can retreive stuff way into the past if need be.
Froody, huh?

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

damon@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Damon Schaefer) (06/15/91)

> Retrospect remote is the software of choice.

Scott speaketh truth!  We are using Retrospect remote to
back up (um) 10 or so Macs and a file server over
EtherTalk (tm).  We were forced to go with Retro after
actually trying about 5 other packages and experiencing
abysmal failures.  Give it a try!