[comp.sys.mac.hardware] DeskWriter/Stylewriter on Minimal Mac

barry@world.std.com (Barry L Wolman) (06/15/91)

My brother in law has a 1MB Mac Plus with no hard drive.  Is it
possible (practical?) for him to use either a DeskWriter or a
Stylewriter?  What limitations might there be?  I've advised him
repeatedly to get a hard drive, but he thinks he needs an ink jet
printer more.

Please reply by mail.

Barry

--
Barry Wolman
159 Oxbow Road

erude@ils.nwu.edu (Erick Rudiak) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun14.232624.1489@world.std.com>, barry@world.std.com
(Barry L Wolman) writes:
> My brother in law has a 1MB Mac Plus with no hard drive.  Is it
> possible (practical?) for him to use either a DeskWriter or a
> Stylewriter?  What limitations might there be?  I've advised him
> repeatedly to get a hard drive, but he thinks he needs an ink jet
> printer more.
>
> Please reply by mail.
>
> Barry

The Deskwriter requires a hard drive and you would be hard pressed to
run it with only 1M RAM.  Your friend needs a hard drive (badly) and
probably a RAM upgrade.  In that case, the StyleWriter would be a
better (more economical) choice.  It also gets 360 dpi resolution, as
opposed to 300 for the DeskWriter.

						--Erick Rudiak
						--erude@ils.nwu.edu

scotth@rocco.labs.tek.com (Scott Herzinger) (06/19/91)

> > My brother in law has a 1MB Mac Plus with no hard drive.  Is it
> > possible (practical?) for him to use either a DeskWriter or a
> > Stylewriter?  What limitations might there be?

> The Deskwriter requires a hard drive and you would be hard pressed to
> run it with only 1M RAM.  Your friend needs a hard drive (badly) and
> probably a RAM upgrade.

Just a slight correction: a DeskWriter doesn't require a hard drive. A
hard drive is only needed to store the HP DeskWriter printer fonts,
which you *don't need* if you use TrueType. TrueType works well with the
DeskWriter and the results are of the same quality regardless of whether
you use the HP printer fonts or TrueType.

Since you much have to use TrueType with the StyleWriter, this evens
the score down to the question of which driver (StyleWriter or
DeskWriter) runs best (at all?) in 1MB? I can't answer this question;
can someone else report on using the StyleWriter on a 1MB machine?

TrueType is available via anonymous FTP; I've used it daily since I grabbed
a copy. It comes with Times, Helvetica, Courier, and Symbol. Others cost
money (same as HP).

The DeskWriter is a lot faster than the StyleWriter. That's about the
only other objective information I can provide.

Scott
--
Scott Herzinger   scotth@crl.labs.tek.com
                  Computer Research Lab, Tektronix, Inc.

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (06/20/91)

I think that there are also truetype versions of the Monaco, New York,
and Chicago fonts.  The New York font is ugly ugly ugly when it is
printed at 300dpi.

Don Gillies - gillies@cs.uiuc.edu - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

In article <1991Jun20.042333.28530@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) writes:
>I think that there are also truetype versions of the Monaco, New York,
>and Chicago fonts.  The New York font is ugly ugly ugly when it is
>printed at 300dpi.

Geneva too, and I find them ALL ugly, ugly, ugly on the StyleWriter.  I'll
stick with the made-for-laser fonts.