[fa.info-vax] VT100/52 COMPATIBLE TERM. SEARCH

root@ucbvax.UUCP (09/09/83)

From GEOFF5@SRI-CSL  Fri Sep  9 04:26:34 1983

	EDT runs slower when auto-repeat is used on the VT102 then on
the VT100 .....

                ---------------

Date: Tue 30 Aug 83 15:56:56-EDT
From: Richard Garland <G.GARLAND@COLUMBIA-20.ARPA>
Subject: Re: VT100/52 COMPATIBLE TERM. SEARCH
To: JMSK@MIT-MC.ARPA
cc: INFO-TERMS@MIT-MC.ARPA, CARLSON@RUTGERS.ARPA, G.GARLAND@COLUMBIA-20.ARPA

The problem with EDT and the VT102 is a combination of things:

	EDT tries to be smart and when it finds the user has typed
faster then it can keep up with on the screen, it TURNS OFF AUTO-REPEAT
mode on the terminal,  then turns it on again when the screen catches up.

	The VT102 has different microcode from the VT100 and (I think
to save money) certain functions were optimised at the expense of others.
The loser was TURN OFF AUTO-REPEAT mode.

	Obviously the VT102 developers and EDT developers do not
talk to each other.

	At the Spring '83 DECUS (St. Louis) DEC said they fixed this
feature (presumably by hacking EDT).

	I still think EDT is a great terminal.  Also I think EMACS
beats the pants of EDT anyway so we don't tend to notice the problem
here.
					Rg
-------
-------