[comp.sys.mac.hardware] SE/30 Greyscale

bangrazi@ctron.com (Anthony Bangrazi) (06/19/91)

I'm thinking of buying a new monitor for my SE/30. I want a full-page (or
larger) 256-greyscale monitor. What I'd like to know is, which one to buy.

I don't know all the products out there. Which monitor(s) is(are) the best?
Which monitors are the best buy? Which monitors to stay far away from?
Which monitors have VLF protection? Are full-page (8-bit) color monitors
*very* much more expensive? Are two-page monitors also *very* much more
expansive? Please, netpeople, help me! I'm lost without any information or
experience.

Also (but not so important right now), do I need a *real* laser printer to
print greys? Can an ink-jet printer (like HP Deskwriter) simulate with dither
or by using Freedom of the Press Light? What is the best preformance/value
ink-jet printer out there? What about the *affordable* laser printers (GCC and
company)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your opinions.
E-mail to me and I'll post a summary if anyone cares. Thanks.

- Anthony (bangrazi@ctron.com)

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (06/22/91)

bangrazi@ctron.com (Anthony Bangrazi) writes:

>I'm thinking of buying a new monitor for my SE/30. I want a full-page (or
>larger) 256-greyscale monitor. What I'd like to know is, which one to buy.

>I don't know all the products out there. Which monitor(s) is(are) the best?

I don't think I could give you an honestly _unbiased_ opinion to that question,
but I'm sure you can imagine what my _biased_ opinion would be...

In terms of full-page grayscale, Radius offers the Radius Pivot Display.  It
retails for $995, and the Pivot SE/30 interface sells for $395.  This gives
you 4 shades of gray, and is upgradable to 16 shades for $150.  You can also
purchase the Color Pivot SE/30 Interface for $795 in order to get 256 shades
of gray on the Pivot Display.

>Are full-page (8-bit) color monitors *very* much more expensive?

"monitorS" is probably not the term you meant - there is only ONE full-page
(8-bit) color monitor that I know of - the Radius Color Pivot.  There are a
few 16" monitors that show a full page in landscape mode only, but there is
only one that works in portrait mode too.  Anyway, as far as whether or not
they're more expensive:  I'll let you decide.  The Radius Color Pivot Display
retails for $1995.  It's a 15" dual-orientation, color full page display,
compatibile with IIsi and IIci built-in video (16 colors) as well as the
Color Pivot interface (available for NuBus, SE/30, IIsi, and LC).  It's
640x870 at 75 Hz and 82 dpi, and when used with a Color Pivot interface,
you can also use it in "actual size" mode, which gives you 564x760 at 85 Hz
and 72 dpi.

>Are two-page monitors also *very* much more expansive?

The Radius 19" Two Page Display retails for $1395, and the 21" retails for
$1795.  Both displays are 1152x882 at 71 Hz and 82 dpi.  Unfortunately, the
only TPD interface for an SE/30 is a 1-bit interface, which sells for $595.

Please note that these prices are suggested retail.  Check with your local
dealer to find out what they REALLY sell for, or scan the back pages of
MacWeek (yes, you'll now find Radius products at some mail order places!)

--
----- Steve Lemke, KC6QDT - Software Engineering, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: lemke@radius.com -- U.C. Santa Barbara ECE Class of '89 -----

pvo@cactus.org (Peter Van Overen) (06/22/91)

Oops, I didn't really want to post under this subject, but here goes...
For Sale: Supermac ColorCard /24 with quickdraw accelerator.
Works with Apple Hi-Res monitor or compatible, and can output
NTSC RGB video.  Other snazzy features:  hardware zoom and pan
(both manual and edge panning), and variable size virtual desktop
(640x480x24, 1000x768x8, 1000x1500x4, 2000x1500x2, and
4000x1500x1, all done in hardware, fast and reliable!) .  Due to
power considerations, works only on Mac II, IIcx, IIsi, IIci, and IIfx.
Run 24 bit color faster than 8 bit!!  Price: $599.  Contact  me at
pvo@cactus.org if interested.  Works with System 7.0, BTW.  If in
a hurry, I can be reached at (512) 873-2593 M-F, 9-6.  Later!!