[comp.sys.mac.hardware] How do I terminate external SCSI devices on a IIfx?

mzajac@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Michael Stephen Zajac) (06/21/91)

We lost the black terminator which came with the IIfx.  The techies at
the university microcomputer shop say that it's only needed when the
internal drive is removed, so for adding an external drive I can just
use a regular grey terminator.  A salesman at a local retail place tells
me I must buy another black terminator before adding an external drive.

Who is correct?
Thanks

Michael Zajac
mzajac@ccu.umanitoba.ca

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (06/24/91)

mzajac@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Michael Stephen Zajac) writes:

>We lost the black terminator which came with the IIfx.  The techies at
>the university microcomputer shop say that it's only needed when the
>internal drive is removed, so for adding an external drive I can just
>use a regular grey terminator.  A salesman at a local retail place tells
>me I must buy another black terminator before adding an external drive.

>Who is correct?

Michael,

   It is your local techies that got it wrong!  You *need* the black SCSI
terminator for the IIfx, and you only need it if you attach any additional
SCSI devices that you attach to your IIfx.

   This SCSI terminator *must* be attached to the last SCSI device on the
chain.  Remember to remove *any* internal SCSI terminators!

-- Pat ---------------------------------------> hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov