[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Deskwriter paper

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (06/19/91)

 Hi,

 Can someone recommend good paper for the Deskwriter? Most of what I've tried
 so far has given fuzzy printout, ranging from somewhat fuzzy to VERY fuzzy. I
 have tried paper with 25% rag content, and that has been the best so far, but
 not as good as I'd hoped.  I'll summarize responses.

 Sorry if this has been discussed; I've only recently gotten interested in the
 Deskwriter.

 Thanks!

Richard C. Long | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Selfware: If you like
--------------- | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | this program, send
A First Edition | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | yourself five bucks!

erf@progress.COM (Eric Feigenson) (06/20/91)

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:

> Hi,

> Can someone recommend good paper for the Deskwriter? Most of what I've tried
> so far has given fuzzy printout, ranging from somewhat fuzzy to VERY fuzzy. I
> have tried paper with 25% rag content, and that has been the best so far, but
> not as good as I'd hoped.  I'll summarize responses.

> Sorry if this has been discussed; I've only recently gotten interested in the
> Deskwriter.

> Thanks!

There's a company in Everett, MA (*not* WA) called Jet Paper that
specializes in papers for inkjet printers.  Their paper also works
well in laser printers.  So far, their paper has worked very well in
my Deskwriter.  I don't have the specifics in front of me, so if
anyone is interested, drop me an e-mail line and I'll send you the
specifics (if there's enough demand, I'll post).

-EricF

--
Eric R. Feigenson			UUCP: {mit-eddie,linus}!progress!erf
Progress Software Corp.		    Internet: erf@progress.com

tlt38517@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Terry Lee Thiel) (06/22/91)

>Can someone recommend good paper for the Deskwriter?
Xerox paper as used in copy machines works well for me, make sure you have the
print side up as shown by the arrow on the outside of the paper.

jfw@ksr.com (John F. Woods) (06/24/91)

tlt38517@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Terry Lee Thiel) writes:
>>Can someone recommend good paper for the Deskwriter?
>Xerox paper as used in copy machines works well for me, make sure you have the
>print side up as shown by the arrow on the outside of the paper.

As I recall, the DeskWriter is an ink-jet printer, much like the StyleWriter;
ordinary xerox paper works OK, but I've found that "bond" paper is noticably
better (the ink doesn't spread nearly so much).

erf@progress.COM (Eric Feigenson) (06/25/91)

Since I've gotten quite a few mail messages for this info, I thought
I'd post it.  So here it is:

The company that distributes paper that works specifically in ink-jet
printers (like the DeskWriter) is:

	Jet Paper Company
	Box 305
	East Cambridge, MA  02141
	FAX: (617) 394-0823
	Orders: (800) 235-4538
	Support: (617) 394-0820

They are physically located in Everett, MA, but I don't have that
address handy.  If you call after 1pm (EDT) you may get the owner who
tends to talk your ear off... he's very enthusiastic about his
product.  It's pretty much a mom & pop operation, which I personally
find very appealing.

Some other specifics:

They sell paper in all colors, as well as white, and recycled papers
as well.  They sell envelopes in the same varieties as the papers.
They are also selling DeskWriter refill kits, which I haven't tried,
in black ($16.95 for two refills) as well as colors ($18.50 for two
refills).  In addition, they are selling various labels for the
DeskWriter (Avery labels seem to work well for me).  Most of their
paper is 8.5" x 11", but some are available for CAD in sizes 11" x 17"
and 18" x 24".  For an idea of price, I believe they recommend the
"Jet 24" for everyday use.  500 sheets cost $8.95, which works out to
1.79 cents/sheet.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with Jet Paper, except as a satisfied
customer.  I should also say that I haven't been a customer for very
long, so I can't vouch for all of their products.

One other tidbit: they don't manufacture the stuff they sell... they
find good paper, and then repackage it for resale.

I hope you find this information useful.

Happy printing!

-EricF