[comp.sys.mac.hardware] What's wrong with Seiko monitors?

mss44697@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mazhar Syed Sheriff) (06/26/91)

Hi,
  A couple of weeks ago I decided to purchase a 24-bit color system for my se/30.  I called up MacOutlet and they quoted me $499 for the RasterOps 264 SE/30
(which is a great deal) and $549 for a Seiko CM-1445.  I thought that I would
call up someplace else to see if I would get a better deal.  When I called up
Desktop Direct he said that the Seiko was having trouble with it.  When I called up MacOutlet again(which had the cheapest prices), he said Desktop Direct
makes up stories when they don't have an item in stock.  And it was true that
Desktop didn't have it in stock, but were selling a ViewSonic 5 for $599.  Well, MacOutlet said I would have my monitor in 2 weeks.  Two weeks passed and they
told me that it would be till the end of the month.  The end is almost here and
yet no word.  I heard 1 person on the net before saying that he had problems
but no one else.  My questions are if anyone knows why Seiko is having so much
trouble and 2, is the ViewSonic 5 any good?
  The guy at Desktop Direct said that Seiko was having some quality control
problems and wont be around for another 2 months in dealer's hands.  Anyone
have any information they would like to give me?
					Thanks in advance,
					Mazhar S. Sheriff

gerhard@cs.arizona.edu (Gerhard Mehldau) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun26.044245.16316@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, mss44697@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mazhar Syed Sheriff) writes:

> [Problems getting a Seiko CM1445 monitor]

I don't know what the problem is, but ClubMac, which are also selling the
Seiko CM 1445 for $549, don't have it in stock, either.  Two weeks ago, I
was told that they would have it within a week; now they are saying that
it could take as much as two months...

Good thing I didn't place an order -- and I certainly won't, until they
have it in stock!

- Gerhard

--
-> Gerhard Mehldau
   Dept. of Computer Science	internet: gerhard@cs.arizona.edu

mckenz@seq.uncwil.edu (Kane Michael McKenzie) (06/27/91)

gerhard@cs.arizona.edu (Gerhard Mehldau) writes:

>In article <1991Jun26.044245.16316@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, mss44697@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mazhar Syed Sheriff) writes:

>> [Problems getting a Seiko CM1445 monitor]

>I don't know what the problem is, but ClubMac, which are also selling the
>Seiko CM 1445 for $549, don't have it in stock, either.  Two weeks ago, I

I have been using a Seiko CM1445 with my IIsi for a few months
now and I love it.  The screen looks better than the 13"
Apple monitor, to me.