[comp.sys.mac.hardware] IIci built-in video

gosciak@muondev.uucp (Doug Gosciak) (06/26/91)

I've recently placed an order for the IIcx -> IIci Apple upgrade and since
the IIcx has an Apple 8-bit video card in it to power my Apple 13" color
monitor, I was wondering if anyone could tell me which mono and color
monitors from non-Apple sources are compatible with the built-in video
port of the IIci. I'm particularly interested in full-page or 2-page
monochrome. The reason I ask is that I see all these ads for low-cost
mono monitors but they all seem to come with their own interface card;
I really do not need another Nubus board, but would like a second monitor.

Snail: Doug R. Gosciak     Quote: Become the one    Net: gosciak@muondev.uucp
       3321 Wyoming SW            you dream you     GEnie: DGOSCIAK
       Wyoming, MI 49509          can be.           CI$: 72115,703

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (06/27/91)

gosciak@muondev.uucp (Doug Gosciak) writes:

>I've recently placed an order for the IIcx -> IIci Apple upgrade and since
>the IIcx has an Apple 8-bit video card in it to power my Apple 13" color
>monitor, I was wondering if anyone could tell me which mono and color
>monitors from non-Apple sources are compatible with the built-in video
>port of the IIci. I'm particularly interested in full-page or 2-page
>monochrome. The reason I ask is that I see all these ads for low-cost
>mono monitors but they all seem to come with their own interface card;
>I really do not need another Nubus board, but would like a second monitor.

The IIci built-in video won't drive a two-page display.  It will, however,
drive an Apple portrait display, or compatible.  In addition, it will drive
the Radius Pivot and Color Pivot displays.  Note that although it can drive
a 13" display in up to 256 colors/shades of gray, a portrait will only get
16 colors/shades of gray (4 bits).  If you decide later that you need 256
colors/shades of gray, you can always purchase a video board such as the
Apple 8*24 board or the Radius Color Pivot Interface, either of which will
give you 8 bits on a portrait-size display, although only the Color Pivot
Interface will allow the Pivot (and Color Pivot) to function in the landscape
orientation.  (Yes, they also work in both orientations when connected to
built-in video on the IIci.)

Also, for anyone curious, the IIci and the IIsi built-in video are the same.
The built-in video on the LC, however, is different, and will not drive
anything larger than an Apple 13" (no full page display).

--
----- Steve Lemke, KC6QDT - Software Engineering, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: lemke@radius.com -- U.C. Santa Barbara ECE Class of '89 -----