[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Apple's new CD-ROM drive & ISO/High Sierra file formats

simon@cs.ualberta.ca (Simon Tortike) (06/28/91)

I was interested to read about Apple's new CD-ROM reader, and
particularly the bit about the drive supporting the ISO and High Sierra
formats.  We would like to be able to put a CD-ROM reader on our
AppleTalk network, but with the ability to read CD-ROMs which were
designed to be run with IBM-PC systems.  This is important because
most of the oil & gas industry data available now on CD-ROM is only for
PC-based systems, similarly for engineering aids in general.
If the drive supports these formats, then I suppose all we
have to do is wait for someone to write Macintosh versions of the
search and display software already bundled on these CD-ROMs.

Would anyone care to comment on the likelihood of this new drive
being useful for someone who wants to read CD-ROMs pressed for the
PC market?

--
W. Simon Tortike,                   | tel     : 403/492-3338
Dept of Mining, Metallurgical       | fax     : 403/492-7219

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (06/28/91)

simon@cs.ualberta.ca (Simon Tortike) writes:

>I was interested to read about Apple's new CD-ROM reader, and
>particularly the bit about the drive supporting the ISO and High Sierra
>formats.

>Would anyone care to comment on the likelihood of this new drive
>being useful for someone who wants to read CD-ROMs pressed for the
>PC market?

Both the High Sierra and ISO 9660 formats have been supported on the
existing CD-ROM drive and the new CD-ROM drive for quite some time.
It's going to depend upon what's in a data file and what software you
can find to understand the data files.  For instance, a dBase file for
MS-DOS could be read and understood by FoxBase on a Macintosh computer.
Putting such a file on an ISO 9660 format CD-ROM would then guarantee
that the same file could be accessed by either computer.

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"