[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Dead HD20

SB06@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (06/25/91)

I have just read the last rites to a 1987 vintage HD20 SC disk drive. It seems
as though the disk+controller has moved on to another astral plane, but psu etc
is still OK. And, yes, we had it all backed up !!! :-)

So, question: Could I take a modern, 110Mb drive + controller and plug it in,

where the old used to be. This might be a cheaper option than buying a new
external disk, but I just don't have the knowledge to take the risk!

Please help, and thanks in advance.

Rob Beynon, Biochemistry Dept, University of Liverpool, UK

smargari@nmsu.edu (Susan Margarit) (06/28/91)

Re: dead HD20.
 my hd20 died also some months ago. The light would flash SOS all day
long. I bought an external drive for it but I didnt get around to
pulling out the 20M. I took it to a users group meeting, drove it
around a bit, talked nice to it and when I hooked it up at home again,
the drive spun up again and has not failed since ( about 4 months ).
On the other hand, I have not stored a byte on it since it failed. So,
knock it around a bit and it may work again.

cjeff@silver.lcs.mit.edu (Carl J.M. Alexander) (06/28/91)

In article <91176.175012SB06@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK> SB06@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK writes:
>I have just read the last rites to a 1987 vintage HD20 SC disk drive.....
>So, question: Could I take a modern, 110Mb drive + controller and plug it in
>where the old used to be. This might be a cheaper option than buying a new
>external disk, but I just don't have the knowledge to take the risk!
>Rob Beynon, Biochemistry Dept, University of Liverpool, UK

Is Computer Shopper magazine sold in the UK?  (It's an 800 page, nearly
tabloid-sized monthly monstor:  if you've seen one, you know it.)
There's an article on p 676 of the June '91 issue on how to recycle
HD 20 SC cases by installing new mechanisms....

--Carl Alexander                  |           BCS*Mac
News Editor, The Active Window    |  The Boston Computer Society
cjeff@silver.lcs.mit.edu          |     Macintosh Users Group