[comp.sys.mac.hardware] New 68040 machines

sybert@felix.UUCP (Mark Sybert) (06/25/91)

I've heard that late this year there will be two new Macs based on the
68040.  One will be a tower and one a desktop.  Can anyone describe the
features and specs of these machines and how they will fit in with and
affect the current product line in terms of price, performance, upgrade
paths?  Thanks.

j.cook@primerd.prime.com (C. James Cook) (06/29/91)

sybert@felix.UUCP (Mark Sybert) writes:
> I've heard that late this year there will be two new Macs based on the
> 68040.  One will be a tower and one a desktop.  Can anyone describe the
> features and specs of these machines and how they will fit in with and
> affect the current product line in terms of price, performance, upgrade
> paths?  Thanks.

For information, just see issues of MacWeek over the last month or so.
No official data, but well placed(?) guesses.

I have one question though:  The 68040 machines will be a tower and a
desktop machine.  The desktop model will be in the 3 slot Mac cx/ci form-
factor.  What about the 6 slot Mac II/IIx/IIfx form factor?  Is this now
considered to be a dead end?

Jim Cook
<J.COOK@ENS.Prime.COM>
"Just my own questions.  Prime has its own too."