[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 8mb is "not enough memory"?

evensen@husc9.harvard.edu (Erik Evensen) (06/28/91)

Hello,

I've got a rather bizarre sounding problem.  I just
upgraded my SE/30 to 8 meg from 5 meg.  Now whenever
I turn the Mac on, I get a bomb box which says there
is not enough memory for the System and Extensions;
that I should restart while holding the shift key down
to disable extensions.  It gives me two buttons: one
to restart and the other to shutdown.  If I press
restart and let the machine restart normally (i.e.,
not holding the shift key down and letting the
extensions load) the machine comes up fine and I see
8 meg in the About This Macintosh box.  I booted of an
old 6.0.3 floppy and everything came up fine; I booted
the Sys 7 installation floppy and everything came up
fine.  I also tried turning all extensions of using
Extension Manager and I still got the bomb box
on power up.  Note that this only occurs from a
cold start -- if I choose shutdown and use the reset
button on the side of the computer all comes up fine.

I'm running Sys 7, without virtual memory on (though
I tried turning VM on to see if it made a difference).

Can anyone tell me what's going on???

Thanks in advance for any help...

Oh yes, the new SIMMS came out of a IIsi; they are
100 ns and I never get a sad mac on power up so I
don't there is a problem with the memory

--Erik (evensen@husc.harvard.edu)

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (06/28/91)

>I turn the Mac on, I get a bomb box which says there
>is not enough memory for the System and Extensions;
>that I should restart while holding the shift key down
>to disable extensions.
>Note that this only occurs from a
>cold start -- if I choose shutdown and use the reset
>button on the side of the computer all comes up fine.

Me, too.  I've got a new SE/30 with 2MB of memory, factory installed.
I'm using VM (for 4M total memory).  This is happening before any
INITs are loaded, so far as I can tell. My 8M SE/30 at work (VM
off, same set of INITs) shows no such symptoms.

'Tis puzzling, to say the least.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (06/29/91)

... and *I* need more than 8 megabytes of CONTIGUOUS memory.  The
Mac's virtual memory scheme doesn't allow more than 7.7 megabyte
blocks of contiguous space (at least on the IIcx).

It's not real Multitasking and its not real virtual memory either.
Grumble.

---
John T. Nelson			Internet: jtn@potomac.ads.com
Advanced Decision Systems	Uucp: kzin!speaker@mimsy.umd.edu
Arlington, VA (703) 243-1611

rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Robert K Shull) (06/29/91)

In article <1991Jun28.231513.4808@potomac.ads.com> jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) writes:

>.... and *I* need more than 8 megabytes of CONTIGUOUS memory.  The
>Mac's virtual memory scheme doesn't allow more than 7.7 megabyte
>blocks of contiguous space (at least on the IIcx).

Buy MODE32 from Connectix and run the machine in 32-bit mode.

>It's not real Multitasking and its not real virtual memory either.
>Grumble.

Sigh.

>John T. Nelson			Internet: jtn@potomac.ads.com

Robert