[comp.object] The Oo challenge

djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) (10/04/89)

I would like to start a thread of discussion concerning what I believe
to be the most pressing issue in Object Oriented programming today,
namely making a grab for the names which have "oo" in them.

It is all part of a bigger phenomenon I call the techno-conventional
land rush.  For example, it is a well known fact that when a new discipline
in mathematics is dreamed up, there is a frenzy to prove all the easy
theorems, and thus get one's name into the introductory textbooks.
(And we all know what a standards committee does.)

Sometimes names can be even easier to think of than easy math theorems.
In the past, we have seen programming-language designers clamor all
over themselves to grab up and subvert the meanings of all the abstract
nouns -- "type", "sort", "module", "class", and now "object" are just a few
of the generic words which have been seized and concreted. (I now
use the word "kind" extensively when talking about programs. No doubt
it will be the next to go.)

We must not fail to recognize the importance of the name-space grab, and
specificly the scrap over the "oo" words. Already we have seen the ughly
spectacle of the now infamous "zoo" controversy.

This my fellow objectiphiles, is just beginning.

Possible topics for discussion...

1.   How to find and recognize "oo" words.

2.   Ethics of "oo" acronyming. (Must the "oo" stand for "object-oriented"?)

3.   Techniques in acronym design.

4.   What constitutes a claim? (Is it sufficient to post a message saying,
     "I am working on a system called 'book', which is scheduled for
     completion sometime during this life.")

5.   Alternate spellings.

***

P.s.

   "Ooze" is mine, so hands off, okay?

rad@aragorn.cm.deakin.oz.au (Robert Alan Dew) (10/04/89)

In article <8500@goofy.megatest.UUCP> djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) writes:
#
#I would like to start a thread of discussion concerning what I believe
#  [ ... ]
#In the past, we have seen programming-language designers clamor all
#over themselves to grab up and subvert the meanings of all the abstract
#nouns -- "type", "sort", "module", "class", and now "object" are just a few
#of the generic words which have been seized and concreted. (I now
#use the word "kind" extensively when talking about programs. No doubt
#it will be the next to go.)
#

I think "kind" has already gone. The Smalltalk blue book mentions
four kinds of classes.  The book is in the library at the moment, so I
can not give the reference pages, (I do not remember them).  Look up
creating classes with indexed instances variables.

Robert Dew       rad@aragorn.cm.deakin.oz.au

lum@armadillo.cis.ohio-state.edu (Lum Johnson) (10/04/89)

In article <8500@goofy.megatest.UUCP> djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) writes:

>I would like to start a thread of discussion concerning what I believe
>to be the most pressing issue in Object Oriented programming today,
>namely making a grab for the names which have "oo" in them.  ...
>
>Possible topics for discussion...
>
>1.   How to find and recognize "oo" words.

Well, this one is easily disposed of:  get an old TOPS-20 system and run
the old WORDS program on it.  Here are the results, reformatted to four
columns rather than three:

[PHOTO:  Recording initiated  Wed 4-Oct-89 9:19AM]

(photo) - words
WORDS>help (with WORDS program)

Use the WORDS command with word mask to get lists of words.  Here are some
useful types of examples:

	WORDS>WORDS *ectomy		!List all english words ending in
					!"ectomy".

	WORDS>WORDS c%%%t		!List all 5-letter words starting with
					!c and ending with t.

	WORDS>WORDS bart*		!List all words starting with "bart".

	WORDS>WORDS %%%%%%%%%%%%*	!List all words at least 12 letters
					!long.

If the WORDS program is on SYS:, you can give the exec pseudocommand

	@WORDS mask

which will list the words matching the mask and return to the exec.

The EXIT command exits from WORDS.

WORDS>words *oo*

abloom		    adulthood		afoot		    afternoon
afternoons	    aloof		aloofly		    aloofness
alumroot	    anteroom		arrowroot	    arrowwood
aswoon		    aunthood		baboon		    baboonish
babyhood	    bachelorhood	backwoods	    backwoodsman
balloon		    ballooning		balloonist	    ballroom
ballyhoo	    bamboo		bamboos		    bamboozle
bamboozled	    bamboozlement	bamboozling	    bandicoot
bankbook	    barefoot		barefooted	    barracoon
barroom		    bassoon		bassoonist	    basswood
bathroom	    bazooka		bedroom		    beefwood
befool		    behoof		behoove		    behooved
behooving	    bentwood		billhook	    birthroot
bitterroot	    blackamoor		blood		    bloodbath
bloodcurdling	    bloodcurdlingly	blooded		    bloodfin
bloodguilt	    bloodguiltiness	bloodguilty	    bloodhound
bloodied	    bloodily		bloodiness	    bloodless
bloodlessly	    bloodlessness	bloodletting	    bloodline
bloodmobile	    bloodred		bloodroot	    bloodshed
bloodshot	    bloodstain		bloodstained	    bloodstock
bloodstone	    bloodstream		bloodsucker	    bloodsucking
bloodthirstily	    bloodthirstiness	bloodthirsty	    bloodworm
bloodwort	    bloody		bloodying	    bloom
bloomer		    blooming		bloomy		    bloop
blooper		    boardroom		bombproof	    boo
boob		    boobies		booboisie	    booby
boodle		    booger		boogerman	    boogeyman
book		    bookbinder		bookbindery	    bookbinding
bookend		    booker		bookful		    bookie
booking		    bookish		bookishly	    bookishness
bookkeeper	    bookkeeping		booklet		    bookmaker
bookmaking	    bookman		bookmark	    bookmarker
bookmobile	    bookplate		bookseller	    bookselling
bookshelf	    bookstall		bookstore	    bookworm
boom		    boomer		boomerang	    boomier
boomlet		    boomy		boon		    boondocks
boondoggle	    boondoggler		boonies		    boor
boorish		    boorishly		boorishness	    boos
boost		    booster		boosterism	    boot
bootblack	    booted		bootee		    booth
booths		    bootie		booties		    bootjack
bootlace	    bootleg		bootless	    bootlessly
bootlessness	    bootlick		bootlicker	    bootprint
boots		    bootstrap		booty		    booze
boozer		    boozily		boozing		    boozy
bottonhook	    boxwood		boyhood		    brazilwood
bridegroom	    brierroot		broadloom	    brooch
brood		    brooder		broodiness	    broodingly
broody		    brook		brookite	    brooklet
broom		    broomball		broomballer	    broomcorn
broomrape	    broomstick		brotherhood	    brushwood
buckaroo	    buckeroo		bucktooth	    buffoon
buffoonery	    buffoonish		bugaboo		    bulletproof
bumbershoot	    burglarproof	burgoo		    burgoos
burnoose	    buttonhook		buttonwood	    caboodle
caboose		    cahoot		calaboose	    campstool
candlewood	    cardoon		cartoon		    cartoonist
casebook	    cashbook		cedarwood	    cesspool
chapbook	    chaulmoogra		checkbook	    checkerbloom
checkroom	    cheroot		childhood	    choose
chooser		    choosey		choosier	    choosing
choosy		    classroom		cloakroom	    cloot
closestool	    clubfoot		clubfooted	    clubroot
coatroom	    cockatoo		cocksfoot	    cocoon
coldblood	    colicroot		coltsfoot	    coltsfoots
contrabassoon	    coo			cook		    cookbook
cooker		    cookery		cookie		    cookies
cooking		    cookout		cookshack	    cookshop
cookware	    cooky		cool		    coolant
cooler		    coolheaded		coolie		    coolish
coolly		    coolness		coomb		    coombe
coon		    cooncan		coonhound	    coonskin
coontie		    coop		cooper		    cooperage
cooperate	    cooperation		cooperationist	    cooperative
cooperatively	    cooperativeness	cooperator	    coopered
coopering	    coordinate		coordinated	    coordinately
coordinateness	    coordination	coordinative	    coordinator
coot		    cootie		copybook	    cordwood
corkwood	    cottonwood		courtroom	    cousinhood
crapshooter	    creaturehood	crook		    crookback
crookbacked	    crooked		crookedly	    crookedness
crookneck	    croon		crooner		    crowfoot
crowfoots	    cuckoo		cuckooflower	    cuckoopint
cuckoos		    cycloolefin		cycloolefinic	    darkroom
daybook		    dayroom		deadwood	    dessertspoon
dessertspoonful     devilwood		dhootie		    disproof
dogtooth	    dogwood		donnybrook	    doodad
doodle		    doodlebug		doodled		    doodler
doodling	    doohickey		doom		    doomful
doomfully	    doomsayer		doomsday	    doomster
door		    doorjamb		doorkeeper	    doorknob
doorless	    doorman		doormat		    doornail
doorplate	    doorpost		doorsill	    doorstep
doorstop	    doorway		dooryard	    dooxidize
doubloon	    doughfoot		doughfoots	    dragoon
driftwood	    drool		droop		    droopier
droopingly	    droopy		duckfooted	    dyewood
earlywood	    eftsoons		elbowroom	    electrooculogram
enroot		    enzootic		epizootic	    epizootically
epizootiologic	    epizootiological	epizootiologically  epizootiology
epizootology	    everblooming	eyetooth	    faldstool
falsehood	    fatherhood		festoon		    festoonery
feverroot	    fireproof		fireroom	    firewood
fishhook	    flameproof		flameproofer	    flapdoodle
flatfoot	    flatfoots		flood		    flooder
floodgate	    floodlight		floodplain	    floodwall
floodwater	    floodway		flooey		    floor
floorage	    floorboard		floorer		    flooring
floorwalker	    floozie		floozies	    floozy
folkmoot	    food		foodless	    foodlessness
foodstuff	    foofaraw		fool		    foolery
foolhardily	    foolhardiness	foolhardy	    foolish
foolishly	    foolishness		foolproof	    foolscap
foot		    footage		football	    footballer
footbath	    footboard		footboy		    footbridge
footcandle	    footcloth		footed		    footer
footfall	    footgear		foothill	    foothold
footing		    footle		footled		    footler
footless	    footlessly		footlessness	    footlights
footlike	    footling		footlocker	    footloose
footman		    footmark		footnote	    footpace
footpad		    footpath		footprint	    footrace
footrest	    footrope		foots		    footslog
footslogger	    footsore		footsoreness	    footstall
footstep	    footstone		footstool	    footwall
footway		    footwear		footwork	    footy
foozle		    foozled		foozling	    foredoom
forefoot	    forehoof		forenoon	    forsook
forsooth	    foulbrood		freeboot	    freebooter
gaboon		    gadroon		gadrooning	    gadzooks
galloon		    gallooned		galoot		    gardyloo
germproof	    girlhood		gloom		    gloomier
gloomily	    gloominess		gloomy		    gobbledegook
gobbledygook	    godhood		goo		    goober
good		    goodies		goodish		    goodlier
goodly		    goodman		goodness	    goodwife
goodwill	    goodwilled		goody		    gooey
goof		    goofball		goofier		    goofily
goofiness	    goofy		googol		    googolplex
gook		    gooky		goon		    gooney
goonies		    goony		goosander	    goose
gooseberry	    gooseflesh		goosefoot	    goosefoots
gooseneck	    goosenecked		gooses		    goosey
goosing		    grandparenthood	greaseproof	    greasewood
greenroom	    greenwood		grillroom	    groom
groomer		    groomsman		groove		    groover
groovier	    grooving		groovy		    guardroom
guidebook	    gumwood		halloo		    handbook
hardboot	    hardihood		hardwood	    harpoon
harpooner	    headroom		heartwood	    heirloom
hippiehood	    homeroom		homoousian	    honeymoon
honeymooner	    hooch		hood		    hooded
hoodedness	    hoodlike		hoodlum		    hoodlumish
hoodlumism	    hoodoo		hoodooism	    hoodoos
hoodwink	    hoodwinker		hooey		    hoof
hoofbeat	    hoofed		hoofer		    hoofprint
hoofs		    hook		hookah		    hooked
hookedness	    hooker		hookey		    hookeys
hooklet		    hookup		hookworm	    hooky
hooligan	    hooliganism		hoop		    hooper
hoopla		    hoopoe		hoopskirt	    hooray
hoosegow	    hoot		hootch		    hootenanny
hooter		    hoots		hornbook	    hotblood
hotfoot		    hotfoots		houseroom	    hullabaloo
hymnbook	    igloo		igloos		    incoordinate
incoordinated	    incoordination	indoor		    indoors
inglenook	    intercooler		ironwood	    isooctane
jackboot	    jargoon		jibboom		    kangaroo
karoo		    karroo		karroos		    kazoo
kazoos		    kilooersted		kloof		    knighthood
koodoo		    kook		kookaburra	    kookie
kookier		    kookiness		kooky		    lagoon
lagoonal	    lampoon		lampooner	    lampoonery
lancewood	    lardoon		latewood	    leatherwood
legroom		    lifeblood		lightproof	    lightwood
likelihood	    linalool		livelihood	    logbook
logwood		    loo			loobies		    looby
look		    lookdown		looker		    lookout
lookup		    loom		loon		    looney
loonier		    looniness		loony		    loop
looper		    loophole		loose		    loosely
loosen		    loosened		looseness	    loosening
looser		    loosest		loosestrife	    loosing
loot		    looter		lunchroom	    lustihood
macaroon	    maidenhood		maidhood	    manhood
maroon		    matchbook		matchwood	    microgroove
microorganism	    mistook		mongoose	    mongooses
monkhood	    monkshood		monsoon		    monsoonal
moo		    mooch		moocher		    mood
moodier		    moodily		moodiness	    moody
mool		    moola		moolah		    moon
moonbeam	    mooncalf		mooneye		    moonfish
moonfishes	    moonflower		moonish		    moonishly
moonless	    moonlet		moonlight	    moonlighted
moonlighter	    moonlighting	moonlike	    moonlit
moonquake	    moonrise		moonscape	    moonseed
moonset		    moonshine		moonshiner	    moonstone
moonstruck	    moonward		moony		    moor
moorage		    moorhen		mooring		    moorland
moose		    moot		motherhood	    mothproof
mothproofer	    mudroom		mushroom	    nainsook
nationhood	    nderfoots		neighborhood	    neoorthodox
neoorthodoxy	    newsroom		nincompoop	    nincompoopery
nonbook		    noncooperation	noncooperationist   noncooperative
noncooperator	    nonfood		noodle		    noodled
noodling	    nook		nooky		    noon
noonday		    nooning		noontide	    noontime
noose		    noosing		noosphere	    notebook
octoroon	    offshoot		onlooker	    onlooking
oocyst		    oocyte		ood		    oodles
oodlins		    oogamete		oogamous	    oogamy
oogenesis	    oogenetic		oogonial	    oogonium
ooh		    oolite		oolitic		    oologic
oological	    oologically		oologist	    oology
oolong		    oom			oomiack		    oomiak
oomph		    oops		oosperm		    oosphere
oospore		    ootheca		oothecae	    oothecal
ootid		    ooze		oozier		    oozing
oozy		    orangewood		orphanhood	    orrisroot
outdoor		    outdoors		outdoorsman	    outdoorsmanship
outdoorsy	    outfoot		outlook		    outshoot
overbook	    overlook		overproof	    overshoot
oxblood		    paleozoological	paleozoology	    pantaloon
papoose		    paratroop		paratrooper	    paratroops
parenthood	    passbook		patroon		    peashooter
peekaboo	    peoplehood		personhood	    photoflood
photooxidation	    photooxidative	picaroon	    pickaroon
pickproof	    pinewood		pinkroot	    platoon
playbook	    playroom		plywood		    pocketbook
poisonwood	    poltroon		poltroonery	    poltroonish
poltroonishly	    pontoon		pooch		    pood
poodle		    pooh		pool		    poolroom
poop		    poor		poorhouse	    poorish
poorly		    poorness		pothook		    precook
preschool	    preschooler		pressroom	    priesthood
promptbook	    proof		proofer		    prooflike
proofread	    proofreader		proofroom	    protozoological
protozoologist	    protozoology	protozoon	    psalmbook
puccoon		    pulpwood		pureblood	    pussyfoot
pussyfooter	    puttyroot		quadroon	    raccoon
raccoons	    racoon		rainproof	    ratoon
reaphook	    redroot		redwood		    reproof
retool		    rigadoon		rockoon		    rood
roof		    roofer		roofing		    roofless
rooflike	    roofline		roofs		    rooftop
rooftree	    rook		rookery		    rookie
rooky		    room		roomer		    roomette
roomful		    roomier		roominess	    roommate
roomy		    roorback		roose		    roost
rooster		    root		rootage		    rooted
rootedness	    rooter		roothold	    rootless
rootlessness	    rootlet		rootlike	    rootstalk
rootstock	    rooty		rosewood	    roundwood
rustproof	    sabertooth		sainthood	    saleroom
salesroom	    saloon		saloop		    sandalwood
sappanwood	    sapwood		saskatoon	    sasswood
satinwood	    sawtooth		scattergood	    schnook
school		    schoolbag		schoolbook	    schoolboy
schoolchild	    schoolfellow	schoolgirl	    schoolhouse
schooling	    schoolma		schoolman	    schoolmarm
schoolmaster	    schoolmate		schoolmistress	    schoolroom
schoolteacher	    schooltime		schoolwork	    schooner
schussboomer	    scoop		scooper		    scoopful
scoot		    scooter		scrapbook	    scrooge
seaboot		    seafloor		seafood		    selfhood
shadoof		    shalloon		shampoo		    shampooer
shampoos	    sharpshooter	sharpshooting	    shatterproof
shellproof	    shittimwood		shockproof	    shoo
shoofly		    shook		shoon		    shoot
shooter		    shooting		showroom	    sickroom
simoom		    simoon		sisterhood	    sketchbook
skiddoo		    skidoo		skyhook		    sloop
slyboots	    smokeproof		smooch		    smoochy
smooth		    smoothbore		smoothen	    smoothened
smoothening	    smoother		smoothie	    smoothies
smoothly	    smoothness		smoothy		    snaggletooth
snaggletoothed	    snakeroot		snapshoot	    snapshooter
snood		    snook		snooker		    snooks
snoop		    snooper		snooperscope	    snoopily
snoopy		    snoot		snootier	    snootily
snootiness	    snooty		snooze		    snoozer
snoozing	    snoozle		snoozled	    snoozling
softwood	    songbook		soon		    sooner
soot		    sooth		soothe		    soother
soothfast	    soothing		soothingly	    soothingness
soothly		    soothsay		soothsayer	    soothsaying
sootier		    sootily		sootiness	    sooty
soundproof	    soupspoon		sourwood	    southernwood
spermatozoon	    spinsterhood	spittoon	    splayfoot
splayfooted	    spontoon		spoof		    spook
spookier	    spookily		spookiness	    spookish
spooky		    spool		spoon		    spoonbill
spoondrift	    spoonerism		spooney		    spoonful
spoonier	    spoonsful		spoony		    spoor
springwood	    squawroot		squoosh		    statehood
stateroom	    stillroom		stinkwood	    stockproof
stockroom	    stood		stooge		    stooging
stool		    stoolie		stoop		    stoopball
storeroom	    storybook		studbook	    stylebook
subcool		    summerwood		sunroof		    supercool
surefooted	    surefootedly	surefootedness	    switcheroo
swoon		    swooner		swooningly	    swoop
swooper		    swoopstake		swoosh		    tablespoon
tablespoonful	    tablespoonsful	taboo		    tamperproof
taproom		    taproot		tarboosh	    tattoo
tattooer	    tattooist		tattoos		    teakwood
tearoom		    teaspoon		teaspoonful	    teaspoonsful
tenderfoot	    tenterhook		testoon		    textbook
textbookish	    timberdoodle	toadstool	    tolbooth
tollbooth	    tomfool		tomfoolery	    too
took		    tool		toolbox		    toolhead
toolholder	    toolhouse		toolmaker	    toolmaking
toolroom	    toolshed		toom		    toon
toot		    tooter		tooth		    toothache
toothbrush	    toothbrushing	toothed		    toothier
toothily	    toothless		toothlike	    toothpaste
toothpick	    toothsome		toothsomely	    toothsomeness
toothwort	    toothy		tootle		    tootled
tootler		    tootling		tootsie		    tootsies
tootsy		    torchwood		touchwood	    trapdoor
trapshooter	    trapshooting	troop		    trooper
troopship	    troostite		troubleshoot	    troubleshooter
tulipwood	    tycoon		typhoon		    uncool
undercool	    underfoot		underproof	    undershoot
understood	    underwood		underwool	    unhood
unhook		    unlikelihood	unloose		    unloosen
unmoor		    unroof		unroot		    unschooled
uproot		    uprooter		vamoose		    vamoosed
vamoosing	    vinegarroon		voodoo		    voodooism
voodooist	    voodooistic		voodoos		    vroom
wahoo		    wahoos		wallaroo	    wanderoo
wardroom	    wareroom		washroom	    waterflood
waterloo	    waterproof		waterproofer	    waterproofing
waterproofness	    weatherproof	weatherproofness    webfoot
whippoorwill	    whirlpool		whitewood	    whoop
whoopee		    whooper		whoopla		    whoops
whoosh		    widowerhood		widowhood	    wifehood
wildwood	    windproof		withindoors	    withoutdoors
witloof		    womanhood		woo		    wood
woodbin		    woodbine		woodblock	    woodbox
woodchat	    woodchopper		woodchuck	    woodcoc
woodcock	    woodcocks		woodcraft	    woodcut
woodcutter	    woodcutting		wooded		    woodenhead
woodenheaded	    woodenly		woodenness	    woodenware
woodier		    woodiness		woodland	    woodlander
woodlore	    woodlot		woodman		    woodnote
woodpecker	    woodpile		woodruff	    woods
woodshed	    woodsman		woodsy		    woodturner
woodwaxen	    woodwind		woodwork	    woodworker
woodworking	    woody		wooer		    woof
woofer		    wool		wooled		    woolen
woolfell	    woolgatherer	woolgathering	    woolie
woollen		    woollier		woollies	    woolliness
woolly		    woolpack		woolsack	    woolshed
woolskin	    wooly		woomera		    woops
woozier		    woozily		wooziness	    woozy
wordbook	    workbook		workroom	    wormwood
yahoo		    yahoos		yearbook	    yellowwood
zebrawood	    zoo			zoogenic	    zoogenous
zoogeog		    zoogeographer	zoogeographic	    zoogeography
zooglea		    zoogleal		zooid		    zooidal
zooks		    zool		zoolatry	    zoologic
zoological	    zoologically	zoologist	    zoology
zoom		    zoomorphic		zoonosis	    zoonotic
zooparasite	    zooparasitic	zoophagous	    zoophilic
zoophilous	    zoophyte		zoophytic	    zooplankter
zooplankton	    zooplanktonic	zoos		    zoosporal
zoosporangium	    zoospore		zoosterol	    zootechnics

1472 words found.

WORDS>exit (from WORDS)
(photo) - pop

[PHOTO:  Recording terminated  Wed 4-Oct-89 9:24AM]

This list is not absolutely exhaustive:  "bitterroot" is included, but
"Bitterrooter" (one who lives in the Dakota Bitterroot region) is not.
Also, one can easily manufacture new words from the above:  "wooly" ->
"woolily" (conversion of adjective to adverb).  But it is a starter set.

Lum
-=-
--
Lum Johnson      lum@cis.ohio-state.edu      lum@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu
"You got it kid -- the large print giveth and the small print taketh away."

ttwang@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Thomas Wang) (10/04/89)

It is a good idea for us to hammer out a standard set of terminalogies,
and have a monthly posting of the standard Object terminalogies.

This way, we will be talking in the same language.

 -Thomas Wang (member function == method == messages = ...)

                                                     ttwang@polyslo.calpoly.edu

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Controlled by cockatiels) (10/05/89)

djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) writes:

>2.   Ethics of "oo" acronyming. (Must the "oo" stand for "object-oriented"?)

No, the "oo" can also stand for "oggled otters."

>P.s.
>   "Ooze" is mine, so hands off, okay?

Sorry, I have in front of me an article from a 1981 Byte on Smalltalk object
oriented virtual memory in which the author Ted Kaehler states that he and
Dan Ingalls "designed and built a virtual memory to support the Smalltalk-74
system called OOZE (Object-Oriented Zoned Environment)."  Therefore, ooze is
already taken.  Personally, I'll take "shoop" (remember the "shoop-shoop"
song...at least I think that was the title...) which stands for "Some
Horrendous Object Oriented Program".  'Nuff said!

--
Christopher Lishka                 ...!{rutgers|ucbvax|...}!uwvax!uwslh!lishka
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene                   lishka%uwslh.uucp@cs.wisc.edu

"What a waste it is to lose one's mind -- or not to have a mind at all.
How true that is." -- V.P. Dan Quayle, garbling the United Negro College
Fund slogan in an address to the group (from Newsweek, May 22nd, 1989)

preston@titan.rice.edu (Preston Briggs) (10/05/89)

In article <448@uwslh.UUCP> lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Controlled by cockatiels) writes:
>djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) writes:
>>   "Ooze" is mine, so hands off, okay?
>already taken.  Personally, I'll take "shoop" (remember the "shoop-shoop"
>song...at least I think that was the title...) which stands for "Some
>Horrendous Object Oriented Program".  'Nuff said!

Naah.  Booze, boob (ok, maybe not), boondoggle, zoo.
At least that's what caught my eye as the list rolled by.

Preston

jima@hplsla.HP.COM (Jim Adcock) (10/06/89)

Here's some selected OOD favorites.  I dibs "wood" to mean a "Wanna-be Object
Oriented Design[er]"  Example: "Ada is wooden"

babyhood
bachelorhood
backwoods
bentwood
blood
bloody
boodle
caboodle
childhood
deadwood		"Used to Wanna-be an OO Designer"
dogwood
doodad
doodle
doodlebug
doodler
doodling
driftwood
falsehood
firewood		"Flammable Wanna-be OODesigner"
flapdoodle
flood
food			"Fast Object Oriented Design"
godhood
good			"Good Object Oriented Design [recursive]"
goody
hardwood		"Hardware Wanna-be OO Design[er]"
hood			"Hardware OOD"
hoodlum
hoodoo
hoodwink
koodoo
latewood		"Delayed Shippment Wanna-be OOD Software"
likelihood
livelihood
matchwood
mood
moody
neighborhood
noodle
noodled
ood
oodles
orphanhood
parenthood
plywood
pood
poodle
priesthood
pulpwood
pureblood
redwood
sainthood
sapwood
sasswood
seafood
selfhood
shittimwood
snood
sourwood
statehood
stinkwood	"..."
stood
torchwood
unhood
unlikelihood
voodoo
wildwood
wood		"Wanna-be OODesign, OODesigner"
woodcock	"..."
wooded
woodenheaded	"Headed towards Wanna-be OOD"
woodenware
woodier
woodland	"Place of Wanna-be Object Oriented Designers"
woodlander	"One from the Place of Wanna-be Object Oriented Designers"
woodlore	"From the Place of Wanna-be Object Oriented Designers"
woodlot
woodman
woodnote
woodpecker	"..."
woodpile
woodruff
woods
woodshed
woodsman
woodsy
woodturner
woodwind
woodwork
woodworker	"Wanna-be Object Oriented Designer"
woodworking	"Wanna-be Working in OOD?"
woody
wormwood	"..."
yellowwood	"Would be OOD if my managers didn't get cold feet"
zebrawood	"Wanna-be who keeps changing opinions?"

jima@hplsla.HP.COM (Jim Adcock) (10/06/89)

Some selected OOP favorites:

bloop
blooper
coop
droop
hoopla
loop
nincompoop
oops
paratroop
poop			an object-oriented core dump?
scoop
pooperscooper 		an object-oriented tracer/debugger?
sloop
snoop
snoopy
swoop
troop
whoop
whoopee
whoopla
whoops
woops
zooparasite

OODL:

boodle
caboodle
doodle
goodly
hoodlum
noodle
oodles
poodle
woodland
woodlore
woodlot

georgec@syacus.acus.oz (George Chan) (10/06/89)

lum@armadillo.cis.ohio-state.edu (Lum Johnson) writes:

>In article <8500@goofy.megatest.UUCP> djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) writes:
>>
>>1.   How to find and recognize "oo" words.

>Well, this one is easily disposed of:  get an old TOPS-20 system and run
>the old WORDS program on it.  Here are the results, reformatted to four
>columns rather than three:

[a few hundred lines of junk is deleted]

>1472 words found.

>Lum
>-=-
>--
>Lum Johnson      lum@cis.ohio-state.edu      lum@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu
>"You got it kid -- the large print giveth and the small print taketh away."
>-------

Com'on man, what's the point in sending hundred bytes of irrelvant information?
wasting bandwidth??

I thought the original idea of this group is to DISCUSS object-oriented
related issues, if you want to send a joke try rec.humor.funny!

[FLAME OFF]

Disclaimer: This is my opinion only.
	If you want to flame me, mail it to me please.
--
George Chan			ACUS/UNiSYS	+61 2 887 6930
georgec@syacus.acus.oz.au	115 Wicks Rd, North Ryde NSW 2113 Australia

hallett@pet3.uucp (Jeff Hallett x5163 ) (10/06/89)

In article <9450003@hplsla.HP.COM> jima@hplsla.HP.COM (Jim Adcock) writes:
>Here's some selected OOD favorites.  I dibs "wood" to mean a "Wanna-be Object
>Oriented Design[er]"  Example: "Ada is wooden"

backwoods		Jethro WantsTaBe an OO Designer

>deadwood		"Used to Wanna-be an OO Designer"

dogwood			A Really slow wann-be OO Designer
driftwood		A Hobo Wanna-be an OO Designer

>firewood		"Flammable Wanna-be OODesigner"
>food			"Fast Object Oriented Design"
>good			"Good Object Oriented Design [recursive]"
>hardwood		"Hardware Wanna-be OO Design[er]"
>hood			"Hardware OOD"
>latewood		"Delayed Shippment Wanna-be OOD Software"

matchwood		Spouse of a wanna-be OO Designer
mood			Mediocre OO Designer

plywood			Wanna-be OO Designer with multiple personalities
pood			Poor OO Designer

pulpwood		Wanna-be OO Designer who writes lots of papers

redwood			American Indian Wanna-be OO Designer

sapwood			A Geek wanna-be OO designer
sasswood		A smart-mouthed wanna-be OO designer

shittimwood 		A really bad wanna-be OO designer

sourwood		A wanna-be OO designer with a bad attitude

>stinkwood	"..."

torchwood		An arsonist wanna-be OO desitner

wildwood		A party animal wanna-be OO designer

>wood		"Wanna-be OODesign, OODesigner"
>woodcock	"..."

wooded		A wanna-be OO designer who made it.

>woodenheaded	"Headed towards Wanna-be OOD"

woodenware	OO CASE tools

woodier		Languages that are closer to being OO - Ada is woodier than C.

>woodland	"Place of Wanna-be Object Oriented Designers"
>woodlander	"One from the Place of Wanna-be Object Oriented Designers"
>woodlore	"From the Place of Wanna-be Object Oriented Designers"

woodlot		Where wanna-be OO Designers park.

woodman		A REAL wanna-be OO designer. :^) :^) (Doesn't eat quiche)

woodnote	A musical wanna-be OO designer

>woodpecker	"..."

woodpile	An orgy of wanna-be OO designers
woodruff	A tough wanna-be OO designer

woods		Many wanna-be OO designers
woodshed	The OO computer systems engineering building
woodsman    	Plural of woodman
woodsy		Like a wanna-be OO designer

woodturner	A Wanna-be OO Designer who can't sleep well at night
woodwind	when a wanna-be OO Designer passes gas
woodwork	an OO program
>woodworker	"Wanna-be Object Oriented Designer"
>woodworking	"Wanna-be Working in OOD?"

>wormwood	"..."
>yellowwood	"Would be OOD if my managers didn't get cold feet"
>zebrawood	"Wanna-be who keeps changing opinions?"

--
	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201

emoffatt@sunray.UUCP (Eric Moffatt) (10/07/89)

In article<1924@brazos.Rice.edu> preston@titan.rice.edu (Preston Briggs) writes:

>Naah.  Booze, boob (ok, maybe not), boondoggle, zoo.
>At least that's what caught my eye as the list rolled by.
>
>Preston

  How about GOOP: "Graphical Object Oriented Programming"
  or        GOOF: "Graphical Object Oriented Formatter"

  :-}

--
Eric (Pixel Pusher) Moffatt - Cognos Incorporated: 3755 Riverside Drive
Voice: (613)738-1440 (Research) FAX: (613)738-0002 P.O. Box 9707

dwiggins@atsun.a-t.com (Don Dwiggins) (10/07/89)

writes (about words containing "oo"):

   Naah.  Booze, boob (ok, maybe not), boondoggle, zoo.
   At least that's what caught my eye as the list rolled by.

   Preston

My personal favorites were the words beginning with the morpheme "oo",
meaning "related to ovum".  Some possible definitions:

oocyte:	    a class definition
oogenesis:  the process of writing class definitions
oolite:	    an immutable object
oologist:   one who studies object-oriented programming and design
oosphere:   the world of object-oriented programming and design
	    (compare "noosphere")

Oologically yours,
--
Don Dwiggins				"Solvitur Ambulando"
Ashton-Tate, Inc.

dwj@acd4.UUCP ( Dan Johnson ) (10/08/89)

In article <1924@brazos.Rice.edu> preston@titan.rice.edu (Preston Briggs) writes:
>Naah.  Booze, boob (ok, maybe not), boondoggle, zoo.
                                                 ^^^
If I remember some postings in other newsgroups properly, this word is
already taken^2 elsewhere.

--
Daniel W. Johnson                    Applied Computing Devices, Inc.
UUCP: uunet!acd4!dwj                 Earth: 39 25 02 N / 87 19 55 W (approx.)

marc@dumbcat.UUCP (Marco S Hyman) (10/09/89)

But what about Basic Object-Oriented Programming? And I'm sure that someone
is now writing the BASIC Object-Oriented Book.

And how do we stop the formation of the Bombastic Object-Oriented Kultur
(look it up)?

--marc
--
// Marco S. Hyman		{ames,pyramid,sun}!pacbell!dumbcat!marc

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (10/09/89)

rad@aragorn.UUCP (Robert Alan Dew) wrote:
> djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) writes:

>> In the past, we have seen programming-language designers clamor all
>> over themselves to grab up and subvert the meanings of all the abstract
>> nouns -- "type", "sort", "module", "class", and now "object" are just a few
>> of the generic words which have been seized and concreted. (I now
>> use the word "kind" extensively when talking about programs. No doubt
>> it will be the next to go.)

> I think "kind" has already gone. The Smalltalk blue book mentions
> four kinds of classes.

And it has been given a semi-technically-precise meaning by Cardelli for
his QUEST language, where it's a collection of types.  (QUEST is rather
like the Martin-Lof universe hierarchy, but stopping at level 3).  I think
QUEST was described at the 1988 Extending Database Technology conference
(EDBT 88, in the Springer-Verlag Lecture Notes in Computer Science series).

This problem, incidentally, is as old as Plato.  It is interesting to
compare the diagrams in Cardelli's paper with those in Wilfred Sellars'
"The Soul as Craftsman", an article from the early Fifties about Plato's
metaphysics (reprinted in one of his collections; "Philosophical Studies",
I think).  Cardelli's diagrams were all anticipated by Sellars - not
surprising since the content they illustrate was too.  One of the better
examples of computer science generating ideas by parodying philosophical
thinking.
--
Jack Campin  *  Computing Science Department, Glasgow University, 17 Lilybank
Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, SCOTLAND.    041 339 8855 x6045 wk  041 556 1878 ho