[comp.object] Help choosing OO C

sarima@gryphon.COM (Stan Friesen) (10/08/89)

In article <72713@linus.UUCP> walters@community-chest.mitre.org (Chris Walters) writes:

>Our group is trying to decide which object oriented version of C to
>use for project development on our NeXT workstations.
>
>It is not clear to us whether we should be using Objective-C or GNU
>g++.  Can someone give a quick summary of the various features of
>each, and any advantages/disadvantages of choosing one over the other?

	Niether, use a real C++ compiler, perhaps even get the ATT
cfront source code.  C++ (including g++) produces much more efficient
code than Objective-C.  And if you intend to ever sell your application
you really do not want to deal with the confusing g++ copyleft stuff.
(The efficiency of C++ is important in graphics applications, which are
compute intensive to begin with)
--
Sarima Cardolandion			sarima@gryphon.CTS.COM
aka Stanley Friesen			rutgers!marque!gryphon!sarima

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (10/09/89)

>>use for project development on our NeXT workstations.
>>
>>It is not clear to us whether we should be using Objective-C or GNU
>>g++.  Can someone give a quick summary of the various features of
>>each, and any advantages/disadvantages of choosing one over the other?

And, g++ is not at all easy to bring up on a NeXT machine. This alone
will take substantial effort.

I wish NeXT would support g++ since I like the ability to define operators
and I like garbage collection. Then again, I would use these features
mostly only for constructing a matrix extension to C, that would allow me
to do such things as

	A = B + C

where all three variables are matrices...

/ivo welch	iwelch@agsm.ucla.edu

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (10/11/89)

In article <20717@gryphon.COM> sarima@gryphon.COM (Stan Friesen) writes:
>>It is not clear to us whether we should be using Objective-C or GNU
>>g++.  Can someone give a quick summary of the various features of
>>each, and any advantages/disadvantages of choosing one over the other?
>>
>	Niether, use a real C++ compiler, perhaps even get the ATT
>cfront source code.

And GNU C++ is just about the only C++ *compiler* available for UNIX
pmachines. Remeber, AT&T cfront is a C++- -> C translator, which makes
debugging quite a bit more complicated, and makes compiling take far
more time.

>And if you intend to ever sell your application
>you really do not want to deal with the confusing g++ copyleft stuff.

Now that the FSF (the GNU people) have removed the copyright notices
from the runtime libraries, this should prove much less of a problem.
You can't use the GNU C++ Library (libg++) in commercial applications,
but the compiler should be OK.

/Lars
--
Copyright 1989 Lars Fischer; you can redistribute only if your recipients can.
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk, {...}!mcvax!iesd!fischer

"That makes 100 errors; please try again" --TeX

jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/13/89)

[choices b/w OO C on the NeXT]
[Obj C being unusable in an actual application]
[much much deleted and condensed]

As a maker of an Application on the NeXT in Obj C, I can tell you some of the
benefits and desadvantages of using Obj C.

1>  benefit-The NeXTStep routines are extremely easy to access from Obj C
2>  benefit-Prototyping can be done in roughly 1/3 the time using Obj C.
	Knowing Obj C fairly well, and having used c++, I still say that
	Obj C is more powerful and versital than c++.  Another note talks
	about the problems of trying to implement a sender.
3>  disadvantages- the code is large and slow.  However, with some optimization
	and cheating (direct binding, posting events instead of messages, etc)
	you can overcome these bottlenecks.

I strongly recommend you use the lingo that NeXT supports.  You can always
you can write the majority of it in Obj c, then go back and recode your objects
that are slowest in C++.  Best of both worlds.

I will not preach, but warn, without an implementation of sender, c++ will be
a pain in the *** to use for your interface.

Michael Rutman
Softmed

david@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (David E. Smyth) (10/13/89)

walters@community-chest.mitre.org (Chris Walters) writes:

>Our group is trying to decide which object oriented version of C to
>use for project development on our NeXT workstations.
>
>It is not clear to us whether we should be using Objective-C or GNU
>g++.

You have not seen the Application Builder or you would not be
asking this.

When in Rome, do as the Romans.  When on a NeXT, use Objective-C.