[comp.object] OOP Not Ready for Prime Time

guthery@acw.UUCP (Scott Guthery) (10/14/89)

I gave a talk at an OOPSLA '89 workshop in New Orleans last week entitled
"Twenty-Five Reasons Why Object-Oriented Programming Isn't Ready For
Commercial Use".  I'd be happy to send a copy of my vugraphs to anyone
considering committing a real programming project to OOP.

							Cheers, Scott

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+ Austin Code Works +*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+**+*+
NET Domain: guthery@uunet.uu.net           Post:  11100 Leafwood Lane
COM Domain: guthery@acw.com                       Austin, Texas 78750-3409 USA
US  Domain: guthery@acw.austin.tx.us       FAX:   +1 (512) 258-1342
Work:       guthery@asc.slb.com            TELEX:    446370 (austincodewrks)
Packet:     N5MDE @ KB5PM                  EasyLink: 62752994
Fidonet:    1:382/12                       Prodigy:  KSWS89A
+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* The Source of C +*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

coolidge@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (10/14/89)

guthery@acw.UUCP (Scott Guthery) writes:
>I gave a talk at an OOPSLA '89 workshop in New Orleans last week entitled
>"Twenty-Five Reasons Why Object-Oriented Programming Isn't Ready For
>Commercial Use".  I'd be happy to send a copy of my vugraphs to anyone
>considering committing a real programming project to OOP.

Why not post the list (with commentary) to the net? I wish I'd seen the
talk.

It might be quite interesting to those of us who are already in the
middle of major programming projects using OOP (ours is an operating
system...). Of course, we _are_ in a university environment, but it's
hoped that the code we're producing will see the light of day someday...

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1989 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.

msellers@mentor.com (Mike Sellers) (10/17/89)

John Coolidge writes:
>guthery@acw.UUCP (Scott Guthery) writes:
>>I gave a talk at an OOPSLA '89 workshop in New Orleans last week entitled
>>"Twenty-Five Reasons Why Object-Oriented Programming Isn't Ready For
>>Commercial Use".  I'd be happy to send a copy of my vugraphs to anyone
>>considering committing a real programming project to OOP.
>
> Why not post the list (with commentary) to the net? I wish I'd seen the
> talk.
>
> It might be quite interesting to those of us who are already in the
> middle of major programming projects using OOP (ours is an operating
> system...). Of course, we _are_ in a university environment, but it's
> hoped that the code we're producing will see the light of day someday...
>
> --John

I agree with John.  I've been involved in a large (multi-100K-lines of code),
commercial, prime-time project in C++ for almost 3 years, so I'd like to
discuss your "25 reasons."  (The project is a 3D geometric modeling and
analysis system sold under the name of Package Station).

I'm not trying to start a flame war (really), but on the face of it I'd say
the relative success of certain commercial projects belies the title of
your talk.  Or were you aiming at a specific type of object-oriented
programming?  In any event, I'm sure your points contain solid information
that could help us all view our own OOP efforts more effectively.  If you
don't mind, I think this forum is the perfect place to discuss issues
such as this one.

--
Mike Sellers                ...!tektronix!sequent!mntgfx!msellers
Mentor Graphics Corp.                  msellers@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM