[comp.object] Inheritance & limited private t

jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/24/89)

/* Written  2:00 am  Oct 22, 1989 by grover%brahmand@Sun.COM in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.object */
/* ---------- "Re: Inheritance & limited private t" ---------- */
In article <6845@hubcap.clemson.edu> billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>>   It has long been recognized that the time to worry about product
>>   efficiency is AFTER the product has been developed and put through
>>   a profiler to determine where the bottlenecks are in the system,
>>   since in this way the high cost of maximizing efficiency can be
>>   directed to the points at which it will do the most good.

Actually, not disagreeing that your ideas are right, but a clarification.
Product efficiency is very important during coding.  As a matter of fact, I
personally (IMHO) feel that it is more important than optimizing using a
profiler.  A large amount of repition can be detected during programming that
a profiler will not tell you about.

>For those of us without profilers, I suppose, there is no hope. Or perhaps
>we should worry about efficiency before the product has been developed, or
>perhaps not to worry about efficiency at all.

I'm curious, what machine and what lingo are you using that has no profiler?
/* End of text from uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.object */

Michael Rutman
SoftMed