[comp.object] OO Case tools

jimb@athertn.Atherton.COM (Jim Burke) (10/05/89)

Having recently recently ended my involvement with an OO project
(using objective-c) the frustrations are still fresh in my mind
regarding the lack of reasonable tools to aid in oo software
development.  I'd be interested in hearing about any such tools
that are now or soon to be available.  For example, CASE, documentation
tools, design tools, debugging tools, etc. etc.  At least in the
Objective-C world, there still does not exist a symbolic debugger
commercially available for most platforms.  God help you if you have
to debug from the generated C code.  I'm sure a lot of people are
working on other oo tools besides databases - anyone care to share
the latest and greatest???

--
******                Views expressed herin are my own               *******
Jim Burke - consultant  408) 734-9822   | I'll stop posting when they pry my

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (10/05/89)

jimb@athertn.Atherton.COM (Jim Burke) writes:
>Having recently recently ended my involvement with an OO project
>(using objective-c) the frustrations are still fresh in my mind
>regarding the lack of reasonable tools to aid in oo software
>development.  I'd be interested in hearing about any such tools
>that are now or soon to be available.  For example, CASE, documentation
>tools, design tools, debugging tools, etc. etc.  At least in the
>Objective-C world, there still does not exist a symbolic debugger
>commercially available for most platforms.  God help you if you have
>to debug from the generated C code.  I'm sure a lot of people are
>working on other oo tools besides databases - anyone care to share
>the latest and greatest???

At the Apple Worldwide Developer's Conference back in the spring, there was
an exhibitor named SoftSet showing a prerelease of a product called Aranda.
This was a design/documentation tool that ran off Pascal and Object Pascal
sources.  They stated that they expected to have a C/C++-cognizant version
"shortly" after the release of the Pascal version.  You might want to
check with them.  They're located in Vancouver, BC.  I don't know when Aranda
will be released, but it was the first CASE product of any sort that I had
encountered that didn't appear to be onerous in its demands on the programmer.

Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.
Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed above are _MINE_!

alms@cambridge.apple.com (Andrew L. M. Shalit) (10/05/89)

In article <13307@athertn.Atherton.COM> jimb@athertn.Atherton.COM (Jim Burke) writes:

   Having recently recently ended my involvement with an OO project
   (using objective-c) the frustrations are still fresh in my mind
   regarding the lack of reasonable tools to aid in oo software
   development.

I don't know if this helps, but some (most?) of the best programming
environments in the world are built around dynamic object-oriented
languages like Lisp Flavors  and Smalltalk.

Of course, the operative word in the above sentence is 'dynamic'.  The
dynamic (i.e. interactive) nature of the early object-oriented
languages contributed to much of their power.  The value of
a dynamic environment was (sadly) overlooked when people designed
object-oriented extensions to C and Pascal.

cassel@sce.carleton.ca (Ron Casselman) (10/05/89)

	At Carleton University we are using Objective C on several
software development projects and are hurting because of the lack
of tool support. We have modified two existing tools; namely dbx and
cpr, to provide a symbolic debugger and automatic documentation
generation capability for Objective C. Modifing dbx was very easy.
We just added some user defined functions to print instance variables,
find the C implementations of methods etc. Objective-C proves methods
and functions specifically for debugging.
As for documentation generation,
cpr was modified to find class and method definitions (with associated
comments) and spit out a latex document. We can also search class
heirarchies and create class heirarchy diagrams.

Some tools we like to see are a browser and a "lint"er. We have
used lint on the intermediate "C" code but it takes a lot of
sifting to find the important info. If anyone has info. on commerical
or public domain tools for the new "crop" of hybrid 00 languages
please post.

Ron Casselman		cassel@sce.UUCP
(613) 788-2756		cassel@sce.carleton.ca

jima@hplsla.HP.COM (Jim Adcock) (10/07/89)

>I don't know if this helps, but some (most?) of the best programming
>environments in the world are built around dynamic object-oriented
>languages like Lisp Flavors  and Smalltalk.
>
>Of course, the operative word in the above sentence is 'dynamic'.  The
>dynamic (i.e. interactive) nature of the early object-oriented
>languages contributed to much of their power.  The value of
>a dynamic environment was (sadly) overlooked when people designed
>object-oriented extensions to C and Pascal.

ParcPlace has a Smalltalk-like development environment for C++.  In fact
they make Smalltalk & C++ versions of the same environment.  The environment
features incremental compilation to allow "interactive" style of development.
Given the number of C interpreters, and the rate of growing interest in
C++,  I bet a number of companies will have C++ interpreters out soon.

Some language developers concentrate on development environment first, at
the expense of compiler efficiency.  Other language developers concentrate
on compiler efficiency first, at the expense of not having good development
tools.  Eventually if a language really catches on, enough $$$ are generated
that users get good compilers AND good development environments.  Then the
only thing holding a language back are any fundamental flaws in the language's
design.

If stuck with a bad development environment, the best one can do is get a
very fast machine to do development on.  Ditto if stuck with inefficient
compilers.  Raw MIPS compensates for a lot of problems.  Given the rate
of development of RISC machines, maybe in a couple years this will all be
a "dont-care."

jeff@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Jeff Dalton) (10/10/89)

Do we now have to call programming environments "CASE tools"?

kcr@netxdev.DHL.COM (Ken Ritchie) (10/25/89)

In article <13307@athertn.Atherton.COM>
jimb@athertn.Atherton.COM (Jim Burke) writes:

>...regarding the lack of reasonable tools to aid in oo software
>development.  I'd be interested in hearing about any such tools...
>in the Objective-C world, there still does not exist a symbolic debugger...
>
>Jim Burke - consultant  (408) 734-9822
>{decwrl,sun,hpda,pyramid}!athertn!jimb

Try using Complete C (tm) from Complete Computer Corporation, which has a
nifty LOGICAL DEBUGGER, with tracing, breakpoints, and inspection -- at the
message selector, receiver, and object levels.  They have a shareware edition
for MS-DOS (use Borland or Microsoft C compiler), and reasonably priced ($500)
commercial grade packages for MS-DOS, XENIX, and a growing list of other OS's!
BTW, they have a Documentation Generator, included in the commercial packages.

I've played with the shareware package, and I LIKE IT!  What's REALLY NICE is
the SYNTAX!  It's VERY CLEAN and SO ELEGANT it's "obvious" (in hindsight).
It is C, with Smalltalk-ish message expressions grafted in with "[ ... ]"
which is VERY NICE TO READ (AND WRITE)!  But if you botch up the code, their
Logical Debugger is ready to assist you in peering into the running system!

The principal developer, Seth Copen Goldstein, is a long-time Smalltalk-er
who wanted a way to port his systems over into compiled targets.  You can
learn a lot just by reading the "Foundation Class" object source code.

	Complete Computer Corporation	(212) 582-2635 voice
	111 West 57th Street		(212) 397-1580 FAX
	New York, NR 10019		(212) 956-4535 BBS

DISCLAIMER: This is a voluntary endorsement from a self-appointed fanatic!

Ken Ritchie (aka KCR)			Usenet:	...!uunet!netxcom!netxdev!kcr
NetExpress Communications, Inc.
1953 Gallows Rd, Suite 300		FAX:	USA (703) 749-2375
Vienna, Virginia (USA) 22182		Voice:	USA (703) 749-2268

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Disclaimer: We have over 100 people here, and each one has an opinion or two...