[comp.object] Integrating concurrent & O-O programming

wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Bill Wolfe) (11/16/89)

 [This is taken from Object-Oriented Development, edited by Dennis
  Tsichritais, Centre Universitaire d' Informatique, Universite'
  de Geneve, a non-copyrighted summarization of research activity;
  the specific paper is "Concurrency Issues in Object-Oriented
  Programming, by M. Papathomas, page 207.  It describes ideas which
  are relevant to the current Ada 9X language revision process.]

 Although the integration of object-oriented and concurrent programming
 is promising for the development of software for such applications, the
 design of programming languages that keep up with this promise is a
 difficult task.  The concurrent features of a language may interfere
 with its object-oriented features making them hard to integrate in a
 single language or cause many of their benefits to be lost.  For instance,
 encapsulation in sequential object-oriented programming languages protects
 the internal state of objects from arbitrary manipulation and ensures its
 consistency.  If concurrent execution is introduced in a language
 independently of objects it will compromise encapsulation, since concurrent
 execution of the operations of objects may violate the consistency of
 their internal state...

 ...consider the interference that occurs between class inheritance
 and encapsulation when subclasses are allowed to access freely the
 instance variables of the parent class [Sny86].  In this case we may
 say that support for inheritance diminishes the degree of encapsulation
 that was achieved without inheritance...

 ...we identify two categories of COOPLs [Concurrent Object-Oriented
 Programming Languages].  We will call _orthogonal_ the category of
 languages where objects are unrelated to concurrency, and _non-orthogonal_
 the category of languages where objects have some predefined properties
 concerning concurrency... According to whether or not a language supports
 objects of different kinds, we will further subdivide the category of
 non-orthogonal languages into the _non-uniform_ and _uniform_ categories.
 Languages in the uniform category support only one kind of object whereas
 language in the non-uniform category split the object world into two kinds
 of objects: those that serialize the execution of their operations and
 those that do not.  Concurrent execution may be expressed by explicitly
 creating new threads of control, independently of objects, that communicate
 and synchronize by invoking the operations of shared objects.  Another
 approach is to consider objects as active entities and express concurrent
 execution and synchronization by the creation of objects and their
 interaction.  We use these two approaches to subdivide the uniform category
 into the categories _integrated_ and _non-integrated_.  For languages in
 the integrated category concurrent execution is expressed by interaction
 of objects whereas in the non-integrated category another concept like a
 process or activity is used for expressing concurrent execution...

 The non-orthogonal class has the advantage of preventing the problems
 that could occur by using "unprotected" objects in [a] concurrent
 environment.  Objects of sequential nature may be implemented in
 much the same way as in sequential languages.  The mutually exclusive
 execution of the object's operations is handled automatically by the
 language.  The distinction between different kinds of objects
 characterizing the non-uniform category presents some disadvantages
 compared to the uniform one.  The programmer has to decide in advance
 if a certain object should be of the "protected" or "unprotected" type.
 Type hierarchies... are typically kept disjoint... introducing a certain
 redundancy in the class hierarchy...  The integrated approach has the
 advantage that concurrent applications are structured in terms of objects
 which are the units of concurrent execution.  The communication and
 synchronization of objects is expressed at the object interface which
 is clearly defined...

 Support for mechanisms similar to data abstraction in COOPLs is even
 more badly needed than in sequential languages but also is hard to
 provide.  Ideally the data abstraction mechanism provided by COOPLs
 should separate the aspects of concurrent execution relevant to an
 object's implementation from the concurrent behavior of the abstraction...
 For reaching such goals we would need a way for describing the externally
 observable behavior of objects, be able to and automatically check that
 the realization of objects satisfies the specifications.  This goal seem[s]
 unreachable in the near future.  It would be more reasonable to provide
 compromises by designing abstraction mechanisms that capture more
 information about the behavior of active objects than abstract data
 types.  A parallel to this approach may be drawn with the way ADTs are
 used in sequential programming languages and the use of assertions
 instead of supporting algebraic specifications and automatic verification
 of programs...

 Concurrency is not orthogonal to other aspects of object-oriented
 programming.  Although several object-oriented languages that provide
 support for concurrent programming have been designed and implemented
 their concurrent features interfere with their object-oriented features.
 Furthermore, the approaches taken for concurrency may have a considerable
 impact on the structure of applications in a way that is contrary to the
 principles underlying object-oriented programming...

 Although abstraction mechanisms conveying more information than ADTs
 about the behavior of objects are badly needed in COOPLs, very little
 has been done in this direction by COOPLs.  This may be explained by
 the fact that [there] does not seem to exist a consensus on formal
 models for the specification of the behavior of concurrent systems
 that would provide a basis for development of abstraction mechanisms
 that would extend the data abstraction mechanism to concurrent languages...

 We believe that the development of type systems for COOPLs is intimately
 related to the development of formal models for the specification of the
 time-dependent behavior of objects, and the development of abstraction
 mechanisms that will extend data abstraction to include more information
 about such behavior.

 Exception handling mechanisms are even more important in concurrent
 systems than they are in sequential ones.  The failure of a process
 should not entail the failure of the whole systems since other processes
 may be able to proceed.

 Persistence is useful for the development of a host of applications.
 Providing support for persistence in a programming language frees the
 application programmer from the burden of explicitly managing persistence
 by using files.  The atomicity properties of transactions are especially
 attractive in a system that has to deal with long lived persistent data.
 Although persistence on its own does not seem to interfere with concurrency
 features of a language it is not the same concerning transactions.  The
 noninterference property of transactions seems contrary to the close
 interaction and communication of processes that characterizes concurrent
 programming and the independence of objects promoted by object-oriented
 programming.

 The full integration of concurrency with all the other aspects of
 object-oriented programming presents several problems that deserve
 more attention... further work is required for gaining more insight
 in the nature of these problems and for developing languages that
 provide satisfactory solutions.

tma@osc.COM (Tim Atkins) (11/21/89)

In article <7062@hubcap.clemson.edu> wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Bill Wolfe) writes:
> ...consider the interference that occurs between class inheritance
> and encapsulation when subclasses are allowed to access freely the
> instance variables of the parent class [Sny86].  In this case we may
> say that support for inheritance diminishes the degree of encapsulation
> that was achieved without inheritance...

I have heard this before and, frankly, I don't get it.  The subclass
has inherited data structure definition from the parent class.  Therefore
its instances will contain instances of the parent data structure.  This
is totally local to the object!  Only the definition was inherited.  Why
is this a bad thing?  Why does it break encapsulation?  I understood the
encapsulation wrt data provided by OO techniques to simply state that instance
data should not be accessed directly but only through a method defined on
the class.  Therefore, inheritance does not seem to break encapsulation.

I would appreciate it if someone could set me straight here.

- Tim

uucibg@swbatl.UUCP (3929) (11/23/89)

In article <1667@osc.COM> tma@osc.UUCP (Tim Atkins) writes:
>I have heard this before and, frankly, I don't get it.  The subclass
>has inherited data structure definition from the parent class.  Therefore
>its instances will contain instances of the parent data structure.  This
>is totally local to the object!  Only the definition was inherited.  Why
>is this a bad thing?  Why does it break encapsulation?  I understood the
>encapsulation wrt data provided by OO techniques to simply state that instance
>data should not be accessed directly but only through a method defined on
>the class.  Therefore, inheritance does not seem to break encapsulation.
>
>I would appreciate it if someone could set me straight here.

As I understand your question, here is (one of) the rub(s):

Class A inherits from class X.  In many OO programming languages if not
most that means that A gets to access X's local data items.  Thus, if X
had a data item 'foo', code from class A could directly access 'foo'.
This means that class doesn't just depend upon the interface of X but
also depends upon the implementation of X.  This means that if X changes,
A may have to change (and anything which is a descendant of X including
all of A's descendants).  This tends to make those classes near the root
of an inheritance heirarchy become "rigid" very quickly, since changes
can "ripple" down the heirarchy.  This is viewed as a bad thing since the
whole point of OO is to avoid "ripples" which propagate through a software
system.

Note that some languages help provide solutions for this.  For example, C++
has the concepts of public, protected, and private items in a class, to help
in restricting access to data members.  When this is combined with the
ability to inline functions, you can provide interface routines for every
data member that is meant to be accessable in an efficient manner and thus
hide the implementation from sub-classes without taking a major performance
hit.  (By the way, I'm still not totally sold on C++ but this aspect is
certainly nice).

Thanks,
Brian R. Gilstrap    ...!{ texbell, uunet }!swbatl!uucibg OR uucibg@swbatl.UUCP
One Bell Center      +----------------------------------------------------------
Rm 17-G-4            | "Winnie-the-Pooh read the two notices very carefully,
St. Louis, MO 63101  | first from left to right, and afterwards, in case he had
(314) 235-3929       | missed some of it, from right to left."   -- A. A. Milne
Disclaimer:
Me, speak for my company?  You must be joking.  I'm just speaking my mind.

zmhasan@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Ziaul Masum Hasan) (11/23/89)

In article <1667@osc.COM>, tma@osc.COM (Tim Atkins) writes:
> In article <7062@hubcap.clemson.edu> wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Bill Wolfe) writes:
> > ...consider the interference that occurs between class inheritance
> > and encapsulation when subclasses are allowed to access freely the
> > instance variables of the parent class [Sny86].  In this case we may
> > say that support for inheritance diminishes the degree of encapsulation
> > that was achieved without inheritance...
>

> I have heard this before and, frankly, I don't get it.  The subclass
> has inherited data structure definition from the parent class.  Therefore
> its instances will contain instances of the parent data structure.  This
> is totally local to the object!  Only the definition was inherited.  Why
> is this a bad thing?  Why does it break encapsulation?  I understood the
> encapsulation wrt data provided by OO techniques to simply state that instance
> data should not be accessed directly but only through a method defined on
> the class.  Therefore, inheritance does not seem to break encapsulation.
>
> I would appreciate it if someone could set me straight here.
>
> - Tim

Aren't you confusing runtime behavior with compilation time?

Encapsulation hides representation.
Accessing instance variables means you can directly use or refer to that
variable in any method that you define in the subclass (S) of a class (C).
In other words, the scope of this variable defined in C spans up to the
subclass. Of course, this violates encapsulation (or information hiding).
If the representation of the instance variable is changed in C (say, from
array to linked list), all the methods in all the subclasses down the class
hierarchy that used that variable directly have to be rewritten and recompiled.
Had we used method to access (refer) that variable, modification in one class
was sufficient.
Languages vary in defining what to inherit.
In smalltalk subclasses inherit both instance variables and methods. Any method
can directly use any inherited instance variable. But any other class that is
not a suclass of a class C, but simply uses C by creating an instance of it, can
access variables of C only through methods.
In some other languages a class can access instance vriables of any other
class only through methods.
C++ has a flexible mechanism in defining what to inherit i.e., public, private, friend constructs.

Masum Hasan

Ziaul Masum Hasan -------------------------------------------------------
zmhasan@watdragon.waterloo.edu ------------------------------------------
University of Waterloo, Computer Science --------------------------------
Office Automation Lab ---------------------------------------------------

anders@cui.unige.ch (BJORNERSTEDT Anders) (11/23/89)

In article <1667@osc.COM> tma@osc.UUCP (Tim Atkins) writes:
>In article <7062@hubcap.clemson.edu> wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Bill Wolfe) writes:
>> ...consider the interference that occurs between class inheritance
>> and encapsulation when subclasses are allowed to access freely the
>> instance variables of the parent class [Sny86].  In this case we may
>> say that support for inheritance diminishes the degree of encapsulation
>> that was achieved without inheritance...
>
>I have heard this before and, frankly, I don't get it.  The subclass
>has inherited data structure definition from the parent class.  Therefore
>its instances will contain instances of the parent data structure.  This
>is totally local to the object!  Only the definition was inherited.  Why
>is this a bad thing?  Why does it break encapsulation?

It does break encapsulation.
Whether or not this is desirable is another matter.
If you make the distinction between specification and implementation
of classes and considder inheritance of specifications as the
primary thing then you do want encapsulation. But if inheritance of
implementation (including representation) is the primary thing then you
dont want encapsulation. Note: You may have both inherritance of specification
and inheritance of implementation at the same time, in fact this is what you
get by default in nearly all existing oo-languages. The question then becomes
what you want to emphasize: the inheritance of an abstract datatype or the
inheritance of a concrete datatype ?

The programmer implementing a supertype may not be the same person as
the programmer implementing the subtype and may not want implementors
of subtypes to build in dependencies on, or make assumptions about, the
internal representation of the supertype (same arguments as always
for encapsulation).

Thus, yes the instance contains "instances" of the parent structure,
and yes this is totally local to the object, but you may still want
encapsulation (or partitioning) internally in the object.

If inheritance of specification is the emphasis you may still have
default inheritance of implementation. This just means that the implementor
of the subtype is liberated of the job of providing the implementation
for the supertypes. It does not mean that the implementor of the subtype
can "poke arround" in the implementation of the supertype.

Anders
Anders Bjornerstedt			E-mail: anders@cuisun.unige.ch
Centre Universitaire d'Informatique
12 rue du Lac, CH-1207 Geneva
Tel:    41 (22) 787.65.80-87             Fax:    41 (22) 735.39.05
Home:   41 (22) 735.00.03                Telex:  423 801 UNI CH