[comp.object] Abandoning names

sakkinen@tukki.jyu.fi (Markku Sakkinen) (11/26/89)

In article <1596@odin.SGI.COM> shap@delrey.sgi.com (Jonathan Shapiro) writes:
> [...]
>
>You know, once you stick a function name out there, you're stuck with
>it forever, and I have occasionally found that to be a real bugaboo.
>I think that in our next major programming language we should abandon
>the notion of "names".

That's a good point!
I have sketched some ideas in that direction in a manuscript
(that mainly deals with intermediates of classes and instances).
There I suggest replacing names with "titles" that are first-class
objects, i.e. have unique identities.
For instance,
a large part of the problems of multiple inheritance disappears
if we don't base the identification of attributes on names.

Markku Sakkinen
Department of Computer Science
University of Jyvaskyla (a's with umlauts)
Seminaarinkatu 15
SF-40100 Jyvaskyla (umlauts again)
Finland