[comp.object] Cox Book on OOPS & C

wdr@wang.UUCP (William Ricker) (01/16/90)

cdwilli@kochab.cs.umbc.edu (Chris Willianson (Guest of Al)) writes:

>I found a book by Brad Cox (if memory servers me, he invented
>Objective C)
TRUE. He's the principal of Stepstone corp, producers of Objective-C
and partners with NeXT in NextStep interaface builder etc.
>to be helpful in figuring out the hoopla over
>object-oriented programming.  The name of the book is (what else?)
>"Object-oriented Programming," published by Addison-Wesley, 1986.

>Cox includes descriptions of several object-oriented languages
>(Smalltalk, Objective C, et. al.); he also describes the results of
>his comparison ... , including figures and...
And with much less bias than you'd expect for someone with a product!

As a note, the version of Objective-C documented in the second part of
the book is *not* the current NeXT, SUN, OS/2 version (rel 4.0) but
the previous version (3.3) which was available on SUN and MS/DOS.
Those of you who set the book down after noticing configuration management
problems inthe object name-space in ObjC33 can come back, the problem
was fixed the the NeXT release, which I have on my OS/2 box here.

Bill Ricker