[comp.object] OO Design Methodology

robinson@wtvc15.enet.dec.com (Willard Robinson) (02/08/90)

It seems that there are a lot of new books out on OOPLs but none of them
discuss design methodologies - and the few articles that I have read on OODMs
basically say "use the nouns in the functional def. as your objects" - great.
Does anyone have any pointers to good articles/methodologies/books that
would help one design an OO program to be coded in C++?

thanks,
will		decwrl!islnds.dec.com!robinson

sakkinen@tukki.jyu.fi (Markku Sakkinen) (02/09/90)

In article <8184@shlump.nac.dec.com> robinson@wtvc15.enet.dec.com (Willard Robinson) writes:
>It seems that there are a lot of new books out on OOPLs but none of them
>discuss design methodologies - and the few articles that I have read on OODMs
>basically say "use the nouns in the functional def. as your objects" - great.
>Does anyone have any pointers to good articles/methodologies/books that
>would help one design an OO program to be coded in C++?

Bertrand Meyer's "Object-oriented Software Construction"
discusses even the design level, but perhaps not thoroughly
enough for you. According to Meyer (sorry if this is misinterpretation),
OO design is different from traditional top-down ideology,
so you should not even start with _the_ functional definition
(of the total system).

One of the most advertised advantages of object-orientation is
that programming language objects correspond naturally to
real-world objects. It may still be far from trivial to find
a good partition into objects (and classes), especially when
many important things in the real world to be modelled
are already abstract or intangible.

Markku Sakkinen
Department of Computer Science
University of Jyvaskyla (a's with umlauts)
Seminaarinkatu 15
SF-40100 Jyvaskyla (umlauts again)
Finland
          SAKKINEN@FINJYU.bitnet (alternative network address)