[comp.object] Objective C or C++, Recommendations?

ian@csuchico.edu (Ian Kluft) (02/23/90)

In article <1535@dinl.mmc.UUCP> noren@dinl.UUCP (Chuck Noren) writes:
>We are about to move from the standard C compiler on a Sun 3 to
>either C++ or Objective C.  I would like some recommendations
>on which language to use.  I know C++ is much more popular than
>Objective C, but I would like some insights into the differences
>of the languages and their impact on software development.

That depends on what you need to do with it.  You know that best so I can't
just recommend one or the other.  This has been discussed (or even fought
over) before but I'll summarize what might influence your decision.

In a nutshell, C++ is more efficient but Objective-C better implements the
ideas of OOP (at least as defined by Smalltalk).  C++ maintains the style of
C while Objective-C seems to have had Smalltalk grafted into it.  (Some
exposure to Smalltalk wouldn't hurt if you're learning Objective-C.)

I've been looking at these two languages a lot lately since my Masters
Thesis includes the implementation of an object-oriented C compiler
that keeps C's style (like C++) and has dynamic binding (like Objective-C).