[comp.object] pointers to VM-assisted pointer swizzling?

wilson@carcoar.Stanford.EDU (Paul Wilson) (03/15/90)

In article <1990Mar13.044310.8330@Neon.Stanford.EDU> wilson@carcoar.Stanford.EDU (Paul Wilson) writes:

>I'm looking for information on "pointer swizzling" systems that use
>virtual memory tricks to assist in translating large pointers (in
>a persistent store) into short hardware-supported pointers. [ That
> is, pointers are translated from long to short _at_page_fault_time_ ]

  So far I have received zero responses.  Going once, going twice...

>My understanding is that Object Design uses this kind of technique
>in their persistent store.  Are any publications about it available,
>or any literature discussing algorithms used, etc.?

  If anybody knows of any existing or forthcoming publications about
  the innards of ODI's store, I'm very interested.

  I'd also like an address for them, preferably electronic.

  and I reiterate:

>If anyone else is working on such things, I'd be interested in hearing
>about it.

Thanks prematurely,

   Paul

Paul R. Wilson
Software Systems Laboratory               lab ph.: (312) 996-9216
U. of Illin. at C. EECS Dept. (M/C 154)   wilson@bert.eecs.uic.edu
Box 4348   Chicago,IL 60680