[comp.object] Rooms paradigm that Xerox introduced

dkb@cs.brown.edu (Dilip Barman) (03/17/90)

     I remember reading an article at least a year ago on this
subject.  However, I don't remember where.  Does anybody have a
reference?  Rooms, by the way, is this clever paradigm that models
many different rooms, each with messy desks.  So one can choose
a room for doing text editing with a default messy desk
corresponding, say, to one's favorite text editor open with
several windows, an online dictionary in another window, etc.;
another "compiler" room might have one's favorite compiler and
related tools lying around.  Ernest Tello mentions rooms in his
OOP + AI book, but doesn't give any references.
Dilip Barman     dkb@cs.brown.edu
U.S. mail: Brown University                       Home: 19 Elton Street
           Dept. of Computer Science, Box 1910          Providence, RI 02906
           Providence, RI 02912 (401)863-7666           (401)521-9731

obryan@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Mark O'Bryan) (03/18/90)

In article <33104@brunix.UUCP> dkb@cs.brown.edu (Dilip Barman) writes:

>      I remember reading an article at least a year ago on this
> subject.  However, I don't remember where.  Does anybody have a
> reference?  Rooms, by the way, is this clever paradigm that models
> many different rooms, each with messy desks.  So one can choose

Hmm.  The reference I have is a lot more than a year old, but perhaps
it's still what you're looking for.  I believe this is their first
paper published on the topic.  They probably followed up with other
articles in additional publications.

   Henderson, D.A., Jr. and Card, S.K.  "Rooms: The Use of Multiple
   Virtual Workspaces to Reduce Space Contention in a Window-Based
   Graphical User Interface"  in ACM Transactions on Graphics,
   Vol. 5, No. 3, July 1986, pages 211-243.

I think I also saw something in one of the CHI conference proceedings
around '87 or '88, but I don't have the reference handy.  Perhaps that's
the one you're looking for.

--
Mark T. O'Bryan                 Internet:  obryan@gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University