[comp.object] OO Design Graphics Standards

sda@edc.UUCP (Stephen Ayers) (05/30/90)

Hi,

        I'm about to embark on a OO design for a large application.  I'm
currently on the lookout for any standards for documenting classes and their
relationships.  In particular methods of modeling the system graphicly.

        Does anyone know of any useful places to look for such standards?

Thanks in advance!

--
Stephen Ayers
Atex EDC, A Kodak Company

sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (06/02/90)

In article <1233@mango.edc.UUCP> sda@edc.UUCP (Stephen Ayers) writes:

> 	I'm about to embark on a OO design for a large application.  I'm
> currently on the lookout for any standards for documenting classes and their
> relationships.  In particular methods of modeling the system graphicly.
> 	Does anyone know of any useful places to look for such standards?

Two graphical design notations for OO designs that I know of are:

1.  A graphical design notation from Semaphore Training, Inc. (North
Andover, MA??).  One advantage of this notation is that it can document
runtime polymorphism.

2.  A graphical design notation discussed in the article, "The
Object-Oriented Structured Design Notation for Software Design
Representation," by A. Wasserman, P. Pircher, and R. Muller; in
*Computer*, March 1990, pp. 50-63.  One advantage of this notation is
that it can document asynchronous processes.

Both these notations support the usual concepts of objects, message
passing and class inheritance.  Also, I believe that CASE tools are
being developed to support both these notations.

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730
(617)271-7753

ARPA:  sdl@mbunix.mitre.org
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Where does he get those wonderful toys?"
				-- J. Napier (a.k.a. "The Joker")