[comp.object] OOD/C++ Training -- A Question of Scheduling

cline@cheetah.ece.clarkson.edu (Marshall Cline) (06/02/90)

I'm preparing proposals to send to companies who are interested in
OOD/C++ training.  I'm teaching a course to 35 IBMers in southern NY
state.  We meet for 10 weeks at 4 hrs/week (2 hrs Mon aft, 2 hrs Tue
morn).  On the other extreme, I could divide the 40 contact hours into
5 long 8-hour days.  Naturally there are other options between these.

My question: has anyone experienced one of these marathon teachathons?
Do you end up *retaining* anything?  I'm willing to propose this kind
of schedule, but I've found that it takes time for people to turn their
thinking around to the OO way of doing things (as Gary Craig,
craig@snow-white.ece.syr.edu, says it, they need time to `decompress').

The 10 week setup has been successful so far.  I'm giving them a lot of
reading along with programming assignments.  As you might expect, they
learn a *lot* from the assignments.  My concern with the concentrated
schedule is that they'll miss some of this practical `lab' work.  Plus
I find that I can remain energetic and animated during the shorter 2 hr
lectures, whereas it would take interveinous caffine for me to remain
`perky' throughout an 8 hour lecture :-).

Thoughts?
Thanks!
Marshall Cline
Marshall Cline / Asst.Prof / ECE Dept / Clarkson Univ / Potsdam, NY 13676
cline@sun.soe.clarkson.edu / Bitnet:BH0W@CLUTX / uunet!clutx.clarkson.edu!bh0w
Voice: 315-268-3868 / FAX: 315-268-7600
Career search in progress; ECE faculty; research oriented; will send vita.

schmidt@zola.ics.uci.edu (Doug Schmidt) (06/03/90)

In article <CLINE.90Jun2005240@cheetah.ece.clarkson.edu>, cline@cheetah (Marshall Cline) writes:
>The 10 week setup has been successful so far.  I'm giving them a lot of
>reading along with programming assignments.

Marshall,

  You would do the C++/OOP community a big favor by posting a
bibliography of the books and articles you give as reading
assignments.  I found that one of the more challenging aspects of
teaching OOD and OOP courses is finding appropriate reading material
that addresses OOD/OOP *methods*, as opposed to OOP languages or OOP
principles (which seem abundant, in comparison).

  Doug
--
A monk asked Kegon, ``How does an enlightened      | schmidt@ics.uci.edu (ARPA)
one return to the ordinary world?'' Kegon replied, | office: (714) 856-4043