[comp.object] Simple languages useful in large projects?

johnc@plx.UUCP (John C.) (06/28/90)

In article <5281@stpstn.UUCP> andyk@stpstn.UUCP (Andy Klapper) writes:

> One thing that I would like to know is why you feel that simple languages
> friendly to the neophyte programmer cannot be used in the large commercial
> projects ?  I always thought simple & elegant was better than complex and
> and confused.  When my code gets big and complex I don't want to be fighting
> with the structures and syntax that a language forces on me.  On the other
> hand I don't want to have to fight with a language to let me do something
> that I need to do.  (I admit it, I want everything !)

Some languages "friendly to the neophyte programmer" (Plexus' 4GL as an
example) let you have it both ways by providing an "escape hatch" into
a lower-level, but more powerful, language (C, in our case).  The 4GL is
great for rapid development of a windowed, GUI-based document image data
processing application with SQL database interface (*whew!*), but it is
(by design) inappropriate for writing a custom widget event handler.
Customers with such a need typically have teams of several people using
4GL to code 95% of the application, with one or two also skilled enough
in C to use the escape mechanism for the rest.

As I see it, such extensibility features free you from having to see the
tool in "all or nothing" terms; an "80/20" (or better yet, "95/5")
approach becomes relevant.

Actually, my comment applies wherever code developed (or automatically
generated) with one tool can call code developed using a lower level
language.  This is the case with MS-DOS and also, I believe, with Unix.

--
John Ciccarelli
Plexus Software, 5200 Great America Pkwy, Suite 200, Santa Clara CA 95054