[comp.object] VMS Objective-C on a VT220 ?

philip@gp.govt.nz (Philip Dorrell) (06/27/90)

I know that Objective C is available for VMS, but from what I've read there
is a strong suggestion that you would be using it on your own personal
VAX workstation. Unfortunately the only hardware that sits on my desk is a
VT220 (and a party-lined telephone). Can you use Objective-C on VMS via a
text-only terminal ? Would there be any restrictions ?

Philip Dorrell, Government Printing Office, New Zealand

cox@stpstn.UUCP (Brad Cox) (06/30/90)

In article <1264.2687544d@gp.govt.nz> philip@gp.govt.nz (Philip Dorrell) writes:
>I know that Objective C is available for VMS, but from what I've read there
>is a strong suggestion that you would be using it on your own personal
>VAX workstation. Unfortunately the only hardware that sits on my desk is a
>VT220 (and a party-lined telephone). Can you use Objective-C on VMS via a
>text-only terminal ? Would there be any restrictions ?

The Objective-C compiler and the libraries bundled with it (ICpak 101) will
work just fine on VMS/VT220. The language was conceived and originated in
exactly such an environment.

Its iconic user interface library (ICpak 201) and its browser (both separately
priced add-ons) require graphics hardware.
--

Brad Cox; cox@stepstone.com; CI$ 71230,647; 203 426 1875
The Stepstone Corporation; 75 Glen Road; Sandy Hook CT 06482