[comp.object] any macintosh oodb's out there?

gintera@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Andrew Ginter) (06/14/90)

Can anyone point me at object-oriented databases for the Macintosh?
I'm looking for databases that support inheritance between tuples and
that allow tuples to be encapsulated by methods.  Please reply by
mail -- I will post a summary of replies I receive.  Thanks!

Andrew Ginter, 403-282-2984, gintera@cpsc.ucalgary.ca, Ginter@UNCAMULT.BITNET

attila@breeze.bellcore.com (07/03/90)

> I received only one response to my query about OODB's for the Mac:

> From: kitchel%iuvax.cs.indiana.edu@ucnet.ucalgary.ca
>
>         Sure.  DOME (Distributed Object Management Environment) has both of its
> user oriented GUIs on a Mac. Of course, the database server/resource runs on
> a VAX running VMS.
>         I can send you more information if you are interested. As a database
> instructor/developer it is my opinionated opinion that there are no REAL
> databases on personal computers.
>                                                         --Sid

Yes, I agree that there are no *real* oodbms available on personal
computers.  There is however heavy *marketing* action in various object
oriented + persistent programming language extensions.  They are being
peddled as real oodbms. Buyer beware!

Most of them cannot create an application independent database schema,
some have no query language at all, and most cannot query complex
objects via interobject relations.  They also typically fail to
implement transaction two-phase commit and roll back/roll forward
recovery.  Lastly they support only primitive object-orientedness only
as some sort of C++ message passing.  They lack sophisticated object
concepts available in Flavors of CLOS --Common Lisp Object System.

Now the nice part:  There is ONE *real* commercial oodbms out there from
Symbolics.  It is fully object-oriented.  The schema definition is truly
application independent.  The DDL and DML are almost identical to
DAPLEX. [ACM TODS, D. Shipman, 1981] It is written in, and fully
supports all Flavor functionality including multi-method, wrappers,
before and after methods, etc.  Release 2.1 will support CLOS also.  It
is fast and reliable.

Statice runs on Symbolics Ivory card plugged into a MacIntosh or a SUN,
on native Ivory machines of course, or on IBM PC/PS compatibles using
CLOE software.  Runtime license is free.

Please do not write me about the details.  [I have a real application to
build --yes in Statice.]  Call Symbolics at
	8 New England Executive Park
	Burlington, MA 01803.

Leslie A. Walko
Bell Communications Research
Database and Systems Research
attila@bellcore.com

gintera@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Andrew Ginter) (07/04/90)

I guess I spoke too soon - after posting my summary of responses to
my query about OODB's for the Macintosh, the following additional
info arrived in my mailbox.  Thanks to all who replied, both by mail
and to the net!

Andrew Ginter, 403-282-2984, gintera@CPSC.UCALGARY.CA, Ginter@UNCAMULT.BITNET

From: chet%arc%apple.com%arc.uucp@ucnet.ucalgary.ca

I hope you'll let me know if you find out anything. I'm not very
optimistic. The closest thing I know of is ServioLogic's GemStone.
Macs can be clients of a server running on a vax or sun.

chet.

Chet Wood                       ~                         (408)727-3357
   chet@Advansoft.Com    .  Advansoft Research Corporation
     arc!chet@apple.COM    .      4301 Great America Parkway, 6th floor
            apple!arc!chet   .            Santa Clara, CA 95054, USA

From: cdurrett@cup.portal.com

I think I remember hearing that Servio Logic Corp has an OODB that
at least runs with (over a network) if not on a Mac.

I don't have a number handy so try:
	Servio Logic Corp
	Suite 100
	15220 NW Greenbrier Pkwy
	Beaverton, OR   97006

From: janet%odb.com@ucnet.ucalgary.ca (Janet)

Just a note to let you know that there is now an OODB available
on the Macintosh, with no special hardware - and 4 mg of memory (total).
It is G-BASE, for Object Database (used to be Graphael).  We have ported
our product to the Mac, running under LISP.  The environment is available,
but the GUI is still being completed.  The cost is $995.00.  To use it
today you use allegro's lisp on the mac, but the GUI, which should be
commercially available by end of August will allow you to populate
the DB without using LISP.

I can send you more information on the product if you are interested.

Janet Gardner
Director of Consulting
Object Databases
238 Broadway