[comp.object] OOA, OOD and processes

matt@bacchus.esa.oz (Matthew Atterbury) (07/12/90)

In article <1100@fang.dsto.oz> dch@aeg.dsto.oz.au (D.C.Hanslip-AEG) writes:
>           ...           it has become apparent that the transition from
>OOD to processes and subsequent OOP is a major conceptual hurdle. ...
>
>David C. Hanslip                              E-mail: dch@aeg.dsto.oz.au

Michael Jackson's JSD (book/method) covers this, though many would dispute
that JSD produces an OOD. The only reference I have is for his book, which is
getting on a bit now: "Jackson: System Development" (dunno the ISBN). I think
it's a good book for OOD, even if one doesn't think it is quite "right".
I do have a self-produced "distallation" of JSD I could send you/anyone who
is interested (it's ~50Kb uncompressed and uses nroff & mm macros).
Matt Atterbury [matt@bacchus.esa.oz.au]   Expert Solutions Australia, Melbourne
UUCP: ...!uunet!munnari!matt@bacchus.esa.oz.au            "klaatu barada nikto"
ARPA: matt%bacchus.esa.oz.AU@uunet.UU.NET  "life? don't talk to me about life!"
Matt Atterbury [matt@bacchus.esa.oz.au]   Expert Solutions Australia, Melbourne
UUCP: ...!uunet!munnari!matt@bacchus.esa.oz.au            "klaatu barada nikto"
ARPA: matt%bacchus.esa.oz.AU@uunet.UU.NET  "life? don't talk to me about life!"

dch@aeg.dsto.oz.au (D.C.Hanslip-AEG) (07/12/90)

In applying OOA and OOD to a simulation problem to be hosted on multiple
Sparcstations using C++, it has become apparent that the transition from
OOD to processes and subsequent OOP is a major conceptual hurdle. The
problem apparently is the differing levels of abstraction. To this I
would add the lack of graphical design aids.

The few references I have seen solve the implementation problem using
OOPs with concurrent features or extensions to existing OOPs. Can
anybody provide references that may be helpful?

Thanks.

David C. Hanslip                              E-mail: dch@aeg.dsto.oz.au
Aeronautical Research Laboratory              Phone: +61 8 259 5792
DSTO Salisbury, South Australia               Fax: +61 8 259 5507
zzi

fraley@aspen.IAG.HP.COM (Bob Fraley) (07/14/90)

One reference to concurrent design in object-oriented systems is the
Object-Oriented Concurrent Systems tutorial in OOPSLA '89.  You might
also check references on Actors.

It has always seemed to me that once you have defined your objects and the
interactions between them, concurrency design is achieved by partitioning
the objects into processes.  The interactions between processes are then
visible, and technology can be selected for achieving the communication
based on the nature of the interactions.

I havn't seen any good treatment of response time analysis for such a
design, but there is a reference to this in the March 1990 article by
Berzins and Luqi in IEEE Software.  I suspect that you'd need to build
a simulation to make sure that you've made a good choice.

Bob Fraley

cdurrett@cup.portal.com (chuck m durrett) (07/15/90)

Grady Booch's
        Object Oriented Design with Applications
        ISBN 0-8053-0091-0
        Benjamin/Cummings , 1991

Covers OOD mapping into processes.

Chuck Durrett