[comp.object] Rumbaugh's Upcoming Book on OO Modeling

bapat@rm1.UUCP (Bapat) (07/26/90)

I've heard rumors that Prentice Hall is about to publish a book on OO Modeling
and Design by James Rumbaugh. Can anyone confirm or deny this, or if you've
read any sneak previews, post an opinion and/or probable release dates?

For those who may not be familiar with Rumbaugh, he has been at GE and working
on OO Design for some time. He's presented what in my opinion is the best
conceptual framework I've seen so far, for folding in ER modeling concepts
with OO concepts. I consider his OOPSLA 87 paper "Relations as Semantic
Constructs in an Object-Oriented Language" a seminal contribution to modeling,
and if the rumor about the book is true, I'm going to to be the first one
in line waiting to buy it. :-).

Comments/opinions from those familiar with his work are also welcome.
--
Subodh Bapat              bapat@rm1.uu.net     OR           ...uunet!rm1!bapat
MS E-204, PO Box 407044,  Racal-Milgo, Ft Lauderdale, FL 33340  (305) 846-6068

kornfein@england.crd.ge.com (Mark M. Kornfein) (07/27/90)

In article <895@rm1.UUCP> bapat@rm1.UUCP (Bapat) writes:

>I've heard rumors that Prentice Hall is about to publish a book on OO Modeling
>and Design by James Rumbaugh. Can anyone confirm or deny this, or if you've
>read any sneak previews, post an opinion and/or probable release dates?

Yes, there is a book coming out authored by James Rumbaugh and several
others working here at GE R&D.  The book should be available October 1990.

I was one of the reviewers of this book. The book has a practical "how to"
orientation with lots of comparisons between different methodologies both
OO and others. It is easily the most robust treatment I've seen of
Object-Oriented Modeling and Design.

Title: Object-Oriented Modeling and Design
Authors: Rumbaugh, Blaha, Premerlani, Eddy, Lorenson
Published by: Prentice Hall
ISBN:  0-13-629841-9
Available: October 1990

Mark Kornfein                            INET: kornfein@crd.ge.com
GE Corporate R&D Center	                 UUCP: uunet!crd.ge.com!kornfein
Schenectady, NY