[comp.object] Laure OOPL from Bellcore

bapat@rm1.UUCP (Bapat) (08/08/90)

A news article recently announced the development of YAOOPL at Bellcore
called "Laure". I'm looking for information about this:

 - what problem domains was this developed for?
 - exactly how object-oriented is it?
 - what can it do that existing OOPLs cannot (ie why develop Yet Another)?
 - what are Bellcore's plans for it (internal use only, or will be available
   to the public for general-purpose OO programming)?
 - any references/articles/publications?

Thanks for any info.
--
Subodh Bapat              bapat@rm1.uu.net     OR           ...uunet!rm1!bapat
MS E-204, PO Box 407044,  Racal-Milgo, Ft Lauderdale, FL 33340  (305) 846-6068

"USENET: The hacker's computer network, or, the fine mesh we're in."

caseau@maya.bellcore.com (Yves J Caseau) (08/08/90)

In article <899@rm1.UUCP> bapat@rm1.UUCP (Bapat) writes:

>A news article recently announced the development of YAOOPL at Bellcore
>called "Laure". I'm looking for information about this:
>
> - what problem domains was this developed for?
> - exactly how object-oriented is it?
> - what can it do that existing OOPLs cannot (ie why develop Yet Another)?
> - what are Bellcore's plans for it (internal use only, or will be available
>   to the public for general-purpose OO programming)?
> - any references/articles/publications?
>
>Thanks for any info.
>--
>Subodh Bapat              bapat@rm1.uu.net     OR           ...uunet!rm1!bapat
>MS E-204, PO Box 407044,  Racal-Milgo, Ft Lauderdale, FL 33340  (305) 846-6068
>
>"USENET: The hacker's computer network, or, the fine mesh we're in."

A short answer to your questions:

(1) LAURE was first developed for AI applications,
    then evolved into a "general"
    high-level knowledge representation language.

(2) LAURE supports encapsulation (a la Modula-3), multiple inheritance with
    denotational semantics, true polymorphism (a la ML), set programming
    (a la SETL), extensibility (a la OBJVLISP), extended types
    (a la TS (smalltalk)), deductive rules (a la prolog), productions rules
    (a la OPS5), constraints (a la CHIP) ... this is not your father's
    object-oriented language.

(3) LAURE is a AI language with C++ efficiency because of its optimizing
    compiler. Its main contribution if to offer logic programming with
    safety (sound & complete resolution of recursive rules) and
    efficiency (better than compiled Quintus Prolog).

(4) LAURE is in its prototype phase. It has been successfully used by USWEST
    and MATRA (Release 1.08, references available). There is a Bellcore public
    release for LAURE and the  next release (2.0) will be available in
    September for the asking.

(5) "The LAURE documentation", Y. Caseau, D. Hoffoss, Bellcore TM, April 90.
    "A Model for a Reflective Object-Oriented Language", Y.Caseau, Sigplan
    issue on concurent object-oriented languages, March 89.
    "A Formal System for Producing Demons from Rules", Y. Caseau, Kyoto, DOOD89
    "A Deductive Object-Oriented Language", Y. Caseau, to appear in the
    Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence, October 90.

For more details, contact:

     Yves Caseau
     Bellcore
     445, South Street, room 2M337