[comp.object] MVC references

brucec@phoebus.phoebus.labs.tek.com (Bruce Cohen;;50-662;LP=A;) (08/11/90)

In article <26011@bellcore.bellcore.com> sjs@roland.ctt.bellcore.com (Stan Switzer) writes:

> Also, does somebody have any good references on the
> Model-View-Controller paradigm?  There seems to be a dearth of
> published information.
True, there's not much available now (though maybe volume 2 of Lalonde &
Pugh's "Inside Smalltalk" will have something).  Here is what I know about:

1) Part of chapter 9 of Pinson & Wiener, "An Introdution to Object-Oriented
   Programming and Smalltalk" is devoted to MVC.  I haven't read it
   thoroughly, but it seems heavy on code and light on higher-level design
   explanation to me.

2) "A Cookbook for Using the Model-View-Controller User Interface Paradigm
   in Smalltalk-80" by Glen Krasner and Steve Pope, Journal of
   Object-Oriented Programming, vol. 1, no. 3 (Aug/Sept, 1988).  This is
   the best description I've seen published.

3) Tektronix used to publish a Smalltalk newsletter called "The Active
   View".  A relatively good overview of MVC was published in it.  I'm
   sorry that I can't give you a reference; as far as I can tell, all the
   copies we had were tossed in an office move two months ago.  Maybe one
   of our old customers still has a copy?

NOTE: USE THIS ADDRESS TO REPLY, REPLY_TO IN HEADER IS BROKEN!
Bruce Cohen, Computer Research Lab        email: brucec@tekcrl.labs.tek.com
Tektronix Laboratories, Tektronix, Inc.                phone: (503)627-5241
M/S 50-662, P.O. Box 500, Beaverton, OR  97077