[comp.object] So what exactly is an object-oriented database?

marcb@eyrie.img.uu.oz.au (Marc A. Boschma [Tau]) (08/12/90)

After just finishing "Object-Oriented Environment in C++ - a user-friendly
interface" by David Hu I have been left with a rather empty feeling and
more questions than I started out with.

So what exactly is an object-oriented database? If there are a few definitions
of the term, what are they and how do they differ?

My current project is to write such a beast, and at the moment I seem to
be getting no ware (due to the lack of defined scope to the project).

I would be greatly interested in what this group has to say.

Thanks in advance,

Marc A. Boschma                                       marcb%eyrie@labtam.oz.AU
Systems Development                                   img Consultants
                                                      GPO Box 3304GG
                                                      Melbourne, Victoria 3001
                                                      Australia

nick@abblund.se (08/13/90)

In article <1616@eyrie.img.uu.oz.au> marcb@eyrie.img.uu.oz.au (Marc A. Boschma [Tau]) writes:
>So what exactly is an object-oriented database? If there are a few definitions
>of the term, what are they and how do they differ?

Here is a good article on OODBMSs:

M. Atkinson, F.Bancilhon, D. De Witt, K. Dittrich, D. Maier and S. Zdonik.
The object-oriented database system manifesto (a political pamphlet).
Proc. DOOD 89, Kyoto, Japan, December (1989)

Some of the foremost researchers in the field have got together
on this paper to attempt to define an OODBMS.
--
Nick Hoggard                                   Phone:    + 46 46 168524
Man-Machine Communication Lab                  Fax:      + 46 46 145620