[comp.object] OO Development Environments

noren@dinl.uucp (Charles Noren) (08/27/90)

In article <4998@pegasus.ATT.COM> hansen@pegasus.ATT.COM (Tony L. Hansen) writes:
>Objective C has a number of class	C++ has a number of class
>libraries available from		libraries available from a variety
>Stepstone.				of sources.

Both Objective-C and C++ have class libraries, however, only Objective-C
has "standard" class libraries available from the vendor (Stepstone) --
as pointed out in the posting.  The difference is significant.
With C++, various C++ compiler vendors are producing class libraries
which are incompatable with each other.  Use a vendor class library and
you are tied to that vendor and to only the machines that the vendor
supports, which for most (if not all) vendors, is a very few machines.
Sure, C++ is available on *many* machines, but each particular vendor
(with its own class library) runs on a few machines.  There are standard
classes emerging in C++, such as I/O streams, complex math, and tasking
classes, but this does not come near the richness of the Objective-C
classes.

One possible solution is public domain C++ class libraries.
The public domain libraries include:

  o  National Institute of Health Class Library (NIHCL).
     This is available via anonymous ftp from [128.231.128.251].
     This is a "Smalltalk-like" general class library.

  o  Free Software Foundation's g++lib.
     This is available via ftp from [36.8.0.47].
     This is a general class library.

  o  InterViews class library.
     Available via ftp at [36.22.0.175] or [36.22.0.14].
     This is a toolkit that runs on top of xlib of X-Windows.

  o  ET++ class library.
     Available via ftp from [192.5.53.209] with patches to
     compile on g++ found at [128.42.4.38].
     [I think] this is a toolkit that runs on top of X-Windows.

There are a variety of third-party vendors that sell C++ class
libraries.  See the monthly products posting in comp.lang.c++
for a list of those (this is where I "stole" a lot of the PD
information, another ftp number to know about is [128.6.7.38]
which contains an ftp list of goodie sites).

The problem with public domain or third party class libraries
is that it may require some work to get it to run with your
machine and C++ compiler.  The amount of work will vary, depending
on your version of C++ and possibly some of the quirks of your
C++ compiler (your know, features, what some people call bugs :-)).
The documentation that comes with the class libraries varies in
quality.  The NIHCL has an outstanding book (I am told, my copy is
still on order) by the creators of NIHCL.  InterViews has limited
documentation (the quality is execellent, but more is needed) with
nice example programs (including a graphics editor and class browser).
Finally, the libraries are not guaranteed to be compatable.  It
will take some amount of work to get two different class libraries
to run together.

Objective-C, on the other hand, has several major class libraries
that all work together.  This is due to the fact that Objective-C
is made by only one vendor (Stepstone) which has as one of its
major goals to produce an outstanding development environment.
These class libraries include:

  o  ICpak 101. This is a general "Smalltalk-like" class library.
     This comes standard with the Objective-C compiler.

  o  ICpak 201. This is the window class library.

  o  ICpak 301. This is the graphics class library.

Since Objective-C runs on a multitude of machines, you will probably
not have as many portability problems as you currently have with C++.
Further, the documentation and examples supplied with the class
libraries is outstanding, with excellent support from the Stepstone
staff.  The class libraries are **EASY** to install.  Finally, unlike
other compiler vendors, you get **SOURCE** with the class libraries.

One other comment about the C++ and the Objective-C environment.
Objective-C comes with an outstanding browser, which I feel is
crucial in serious OO development.  Currently the browser is does
read-only browsing of the source-code, but future enhancements will
allow editing of the code.  There are some C++ browsers in the public
domain:

  o  iclass (from InterViews).  This is an example program that
     scans the header files of C++.

  o  cbrowse (from Brown University).  This is part of a very good
     C++ (and C) development evironment called Field, which includes
     an integrated development environment that runs on top of
     X-Windows.  This is available via ftp from Brown University
     at [128.148.32.66].  Read the read-me files and notices because
     it will requiire a password to download the Field environment
     (if you have problems, you can call Brown University at
     401 863-7627 or e-mail to redsoft@cs.brown.edu).  cbrowse will
     graphically display your class hierarchy and recreate the class
     information that your header files have.

The problem with the C++ browsers is that none them show the *SOURCE*
of your C++ programs (except the header file info).  The Objective-C
browser, on the other hand, shows Objective-C source.  I feel this is
an essential feature of a browser.  One C++ company who I expect will
produce a good browser in the future is the ObjectWorks C++ environment
by ParcPlace Systems (a maker of Smalltalk).

Contacts for companies mentioned:

  o  Stepstone (makers of Objective-C).
     The Stepstone Corporation
     75 Glen Road
     Sandy Hook, CT 06482
     (203) 426-1875
     FAX (203) 270-0106

  o  ParcPlace (makers of ObjectWorks).
     ParcPlace Systems
     1550 Plymoth St.
     Mountian View, CA 94043
     (415) 691-6720

--
Chuck Noren
NET:     dinl!noren@ncar.ucar.edu

sdm@cs.brown.edu (Scott Meyers) (08/28/90)

In article <1716@dinl.mmc.UUCP> noren@dinl.UUCP (Charles Noren) writes:
>  o  cbrowse (from Brown University).  This is part of a very good
>     C++ (and C) development evironment called Field, which includes
>     an integrated development environment that runs on top of
>     X-Windows.  This is available via ftp from Brown University
>     at [128.148.32.66].

Note:  the ftp number is now 128.148.31.66.
                                     ^^
>The problem with the C++ browsers is that none them show the *SOURCE*
>of your C++ programs (except the header file info).

A non-graphical approach we (Brown University) have been exploring to
source browsing is implemented as a package for Gnu emacs.  In this
package, functions to query the FIELD database (the same database used by
cbrowse) are bound to emacs keystrokes, so it is possible to perform
queries that are dependent on the current cursor location.  For example,
given the statement,

      theSPG->_allNodes.insert(node);

you can put your cursor on any of the tokens and ask to see its declaration
or definition.  For example, if the cursor is on "insert" and you invoke
the function "XREF:find-function-def," emacs looks at _allNodes to find out
its declared type (class), then looks in that class for a declaration of a
function called insert.  If it finds it, it then locates the function
definition and opens a new buffer on that file at the approprate line.  You
can also ask to see base and derived classes; complete class interfaces
(i.e., all members defined in all base classes); and lots more.  And of
course you retain all the nifty features of Gnu emacs, i.e., multiple
buffers, electric buffers, etc..  In combination with cbrowse, this offers
a nice environment for seeing high-level relationships (in cbrowse) while
also being able to semantically manipulate source at a detailed level (in
Emacs).

The prototype implementation of the Emacs interface was written by Moises
Lejter, who'll be presenting a paper on it at the C++ at Work conference
next month.  The current implementation is slow and buggy, but still
impressive (or at least interesting).  If you're interested in giving it a
try, it's available via anonymous ftp at the above address in the file
~ftp/pub/mlm/fieldxref.tar.Z.

Scott

PS - For the record, it probably wouldn't be difficult to write code so
     that cbrowse and Emacs communicated via FIELD.  In that case, when a
     class/member was selected in cbrowse, it would notify Emacs, which
     would perform the relevant query and then update its buffer to show
     the current source.  As far as I know, however, no one here is
     working on that.

Regarding the Emacs interface to FIELD, I wrote:
| The prototype implementation of the Emacs interface was written by Moises
| Lejter, who'll be presenting a paper on it at the C++ at Work conference
| next month.  The current implementation is slow and buggy, but still
| impressive (or at least interesting).

Moises would have preferred that I had written "somewhat slow and buggy,"
so I stand corrected :-).  At any rate, it's usable, and one whole heck of a
lot better than nothing.

Scott

edwardj@microsoft.UUCP (Edward JUNG) (09/07/90)

In article <15409@drilex.UUCP> dricejb@drilex.UUCP (Craig Jackson drilex1) writes:
>In article <5514@stpstn.UUCP> lerman@stpstn.UUCP (Ken Lerman) writes:
[...]
>|Objective-C is available (and supported by) three vendors (that I know of).
>|Not one.

[...]
>Perhaps it would be more correct to say that there is only one basic
>implementation of Objective-C commercially available, whereas there
>are several independent implementations of C++?  However, the real point
>is that there is an implementation of C++ (G++) which is available at
>negligable cost, especially to the academic/research community where copyleft
>is not a concern.  If there were a "GNU Objective-C" in existence, a lot
>more people would think it to be a fine language.
>--
>Craig Jackson
>dricejb@drilex.dri.mgh.com
>{bbn,axiom,redsox,atexnet,ka3ovk}!drilex!{dricej,dricejb}

The NeXT implementation of Objective-C after version 0.9 of their OS
is an independent implementation.  Moreoever, it is based upon GCC
from the Free Software Foundation and therefore falls under the
free software policy of FSF.

NeXT's object library is significantly different from that of
Stepstone and the various IC-Paks.  I believe that IBM implementation
is a port of NeXT's implementation, but I am uncertain how much of
the NeXT code remains in the IBM version.

The latest FSF newsletter, as I remember, mentioned that version 2.0
of GCC would compile Objective-C (I assume this ability is derived
from the NeXT GCC).  Reflexively, version 2.0 of NeXT's compiler will
apparently compile C++.

So let's watch the world get smaller and happier and less religious
about languages.  I hope to see whether Objective-C and C++ can be
mixed along the lines suggested by Brad Cox or if it just isn't as
elegant as we might think.
.

Edward Jung

I do not represent Microsoft