[comp.object] The Object Management Group

soley@abp.lcs.mit.edu (Richard Mark Soley) (01/04/90)

Before the holidays, Ed Berard asked me to post something to this
group outlining what the Object Management Group is.  To those of
you who have already heard of us (or represent members) I
apologize in advance.

The Object Management Group, Inc. is a not-for-profit computer
industry consortium working on agreements between member
companies in all aspects of object-oriented applications
software, both development and execution.  The purpose of the OMG
is to develop object-oriented applications standards, promulgate
these standards throughout the industry, foster the development
of compatible tools and products, and promote the understanding
and use of object-oriented software production.

The OMG Technical Committee, composed of representatives of
member companies, is developing standards in this area based on
actual existing implementations.  The TC meets every six weeks,
all over the world (current members are in North America, Europe
and Asia).

Membership is two-tiered: Corporate Members drive the
organization, via voting power and the right to propose new
technology for standardization; Associate Members have a voice in
the process but no vote.  Membership fees are based on annual
revenue or budget, and range from $500 to $50,000 annually.  The
Corporate membership now includes 3Com, AT&T, Groupe Bull, Canon,
Data General, Gold Hill Computers, Hewlett-Packard, Mentor
Graphics, Netwise, Nixdorf Computer, Object Sciences, Philips
TDS, Prime Computer, Sun MicroSystems, Unisys and The Whitewater
Group.  The forty-plus Associate members include the University
of Colorado, MCC, American Airlines, Object Design, Objectivity,
Aion, Borland, Eastman Kodak and Sequent.  The Group has informal
relationships with X3 and OSF, and a formal advisory relationship
to X/Open.

My name is Dr. Richard Soley; I am the Vice President and
Technical Director of the OMG.  If you or your company has any
interest in joining us, please feel free to email, call, fax or
write for more information:

	Richard Mark Soley, Ph.D.
	Vice President, Technical Director
	Object Management Group, Inc.
	33 Lyman Street, Suite 202
	Westboro, Massachusetts 01581

	Telephone: (508) 898-9690
	Facsimile: (508) 836-3703
	Domain: soley@mc.lcs.mit.edu

gilstrap@aslan.sbc.com (Brian Gilstrap) (09/06/90)

Can anyone give me pointers to the Object Management Group which was
formed some time ago?  Or am I dreaming things again?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian R. Gilstrap
gilstrap@aslan.sbc.com
gilstrap@swbatl.sbc.com
...!{texbell,uunet}!swbatl{!aslan}!gilstrap

dgh@Unify.Com (David Harrington) (09/08/90)

In article <1990Sep6.164714.11154@swbatl.sbc.com> gilstrap@aslan.sbc.com (Brian Gilstrap) writes:
>Can anyone give me pointers to the Object Management Group which was
>formed some time ago?  Or am I dreaming things again?
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Brian R. Gilstrap
>gilstrap@aslan.sbc.com
>gilstrap@swbatl.sbc.com
>...!{texbell,uunet}!swbatl{!aslan}!gilstrap

Object Management Group, Inc.
Framingham Corporate Center
492 Old Connecticut Path
Framingham, MA 01701
USA

Tel: +1 508 820 4300
Fax: +1 508 820 4303

Chris Stone, CEO (chris_stone@omg.org)
Richard Soley, VP, Technical Director (richard_soley@omg.org)

--
David Harrington                                      internet: dgh@unify.COM
Unify Corporation                              ...!{csusac,pyramid}!unify!dgh

soley@au-bon-pain.lcs.mit.edu (Richard Mark Soley) (09/10/90)

    Brian Gilstrap writes:
    >Can anyone give me pointers to the Object Management Group which was
    >formed some time ago?  Or am I dreaming things again?

The Object Management Group, formed in April 1989, is alive and quite
well, with about 85 members to date (latest corporate members:
Teknekron, Apple Computer, ParcPlace Systems, Intellicorp, DEC).  OMG
has completed its first deliverable, and is already in full swing in
the technology adoption process.  The UK office is open and operating;
the ObjectWorld subsidiary (of OMG and ANSA) is about to offer
courseware and is planning a conference.

Feel free to call for information.

	-- Richard Soley
	   Vice President and Technical Director
	   Object Management Group, Inc.