[comp.object] Distributed OO Languages

pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (09/14/90)

>In article <1880@infbs.UUCP> jungclau@infbs.UUCP (Ralf Jungclaus) writes:
> >
> >Does anybody out there have experience with concurrent OOPL systems? As far
> >as I know, only research prototypes are available yet (ABCL/1,
> >ConcurrentSmalltalk, Orient/84K, POOL-T).
> >
> >Any experiences/pointers to other systems/points of contact are welcome.
> >Please e-mail me, I'll summarize if desired. Thanks in advance,
>
>Hi, I am Satoshi Matsuoka, currently a member of the ABCL project
>group now at the Department of Information Science, the University of
>Tokyo. We currently have a prototype version of ABCL/1 available via
I have recently finished a prototype implementation of   OO||, an
object oriented programming language / environment for distributed /
parallel processing.  It is in support of my phd dissertation.
I will make it publicly available by the 1st of December (when I should
be totally finished).

The implementation supports distributed heterogeneous computing
environments.  Our test bed includes 30 SUN 3's,4's and Sparcstations,
1 Encore Multimax 6 Processor, 1 IBM 3090, 15 PS/2 70 AIX, 1 Cogent XTM
and  several plain unix boxes (vax, pyramid, att).   The language
supports inheritance, delegation, classes, activities, polymorphism,
numerous reflective capibilities, object migration and modification,
class modification, and a lot of graphics stuff (the main are of my research).
   In essence, I can bring up a windowing envt. such as X and see a console
monitoring all objects in the system via machine nodes or software processes.
I can use the mouse to move objects to different machines, inspect objects,
change values of local state....etc.
It runs fine, and looks good (subjective) and will be PD soon.

/*----------- Thanks in advance... --------------------------------------+
| Peter C. Bahrs                                                         |
| The USL-NASA Project                                                   |
| Center For Advanced Computer Studies      INET: pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu |
| 2 Rex Street                                                           |
| University of Southwestern Louisiana      ...!uunet!dalsqnt!gator!pcb  |
| Lafayette, LA 70504                                                    |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

ncjuul@diku.dk (Niels Christian Juul) (09/19/90)

pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
>I have recently finished a prototype implementation of   OO||, an
>object oriented programming language / environment for distributed /
>parallel processing.  It is in support of my phd dissertation.
>I will make it publicly available by the 1st of December (when I should
>be totally finished).

>The implementation supports distributed heterogeneous computing
>environments.  Our test bed includes 30 SUN 3's,4's and Sparcstations,
>1 Encore Multimax 6 Processor, 1 IBM 3090, 15 PS/2 70 AIX, 1 Cogent XTM
>and  several plain unix boxes (vax, pyramid, att).   The language
>supports inheritance, delegation, classes, activities, polymorphism,
>numerous reflective capibilities, object migration and modification,
>class modification, and a lot of graphics stuff (the main are of my research).

>| Peter C. Bahrs                                                         |

This sounds interesting to me.
Could you provide more details, i.e. contrast the facilities to other
distributed OO languages like, ABCL, BETA, ConcurrentSmalltalk,
DistributedSmalltalk, Ellie, Emerald, POOL,...

Niels Christian
Niels Christian Juul				Email:   ncjuul@diku.dk
DIKU (aka Dept.Comp.Sci. Univ.Copenhagen) 	Phone:  +45 31 39 64 66 ext.405
Universitetsparken 1 -- DK 2100 Copenhagen	Direct:	+45 31 39 33 11 --  405