[comp.object] Mixing Structured Design and OOD

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (10/12/90)

Does anyone have a good methodology for using a CASE tool that's oriented
toward structured design in the process of developing object-oriented programs
(for instance, in C++)?  Basically, I have something for doing procedural
design and/or data design (TurboCASE) and I want to know how best to order my
thought processes so that when I'm done using it, implementing the result in
an object-oriented way would be relatively straightforward.
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

kelpie@nwnexus.WA.COM (Anthony C. Garland) (10/15/90)

cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) writes:

>Does anyone have a good methodology for using a CASE tool that's oriented
>toward structured design in the process of developing object-oriented programs
>(for instance, in C++)?

    Although I have yet to take this approach myself, after having pondered the
    same question, I had considered taking the following tack:

	o  Use a Entity-Relationship Diagram (ERD) editor to describe
	   attributes of each class.
	o  Use a State Transition Diagram (STD) editor to describe the
	   states that each object moves through.
	o  Use a Dataflow Diagram editor (DFD) to describe/design the methods
	   which operate upon an object/class.

    With this approach, each class is described by a triad of diagrams based
    upon structured design techniques.  Probably not optimum, but seems like a
    reasonable approach.

o-----------------------------------------------------------------------------o
| Anthony C. Garland, P.E.                                 Garland Consulting |
| 1373 S. Bonanza Alley,                                       (206) 387-6390 |
| Camano Island, WA 98292                               kelpie@nwnexus.WA.COM |
o-----------------------------------------------------------------------------o

cline@cheetah.ece.clarkson.edu (Marshall Cline) (10/22/90)

In article <CIMSHOP!DAVIDM.90Oct11105657@uunet.UU.NET> cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) writes:
>Does anyone have a good methodology for using a CASE tool that's oriented
>toward structured design in the process of developing object-oriented programs
>(for instance, in C++)?

Meilir Page-Jones and Steven Weiss teach a workshop called `Synthesis',
which may help.  (I have absolutely no commercial connection with them;
I only heard a tiny bit about their idea at the Graphical OODesign for
SE workshop yesterday at OOPSLA).  You can
contact them for information at:
	Datamorphosis, Inc
	PO Box 11498
	Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
	206-842-1100

Marshall Cline

PS: OOPSLA's program looks great again.  They are predicting around the
same numbers as last year (1600 or so including one-day'ers etc -- the
`2000' count of last year's OOPSLA was just a rumor).  If you can spare
a week: come to Ottowa!  (technical sessions run thru Thurs).
--
PS: If your company is interested in on-site C++/OOD training, drop me a line!
PPS: Career search in progress; ECE faculty; research oriented; will send vita.

cline@cheetah.ece.clarkson.edu (Marshall Cline) (10/22/90)

Newsgroups: comp.object
Subject: Re: Mixing Structured Design and OOD
FCC: /home/cline/.posted-news