[comp.object] Do we really need types in OOPL

johnson@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/29/90)

Andy Ormsby (aro@cs.aber.ac.uk) wrote:

>I've often seen complaints about the performance of Smalltalk. To what
>extent is performance really an obstacle to the adoption of Smalltalk
>these days?  My (very limited) experience is that Smalltalk seems to
>produce much more responsive applications than C++/Interviews.

As with anything else, it depends on the application.  For user-interface
intensive applications, Smalltalk is plenty fast enough, and is probably
just as fast as C++/Interviews.  However, if you are doing a lot of
computation, whether floating point or symbolic, then Smalltalk can be
an order of magnitude slower than C/FORTRAN/etc.

Modern Smalltalks make it possible to call C routines from Smalltalk.
A common trick is to write the computation entensive part in C and
call it from Smalltalk.  This works well when the expensive part is
fairly well contained, which is quite common.

Ralph Johnson - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign