[fa.info-vax] Routes, pinging, ad infinitum...

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (10/19/84)

From: Ron Tencati <TENCATI@JPL-VLSI.ARPA>

Dennis,

	Paul Milazzo contacted me yesterday and helped me get my routes straightto RICE. I can now send to RICE and IAP, which means both of those networks are
now "reachable". I usually don't know who I can't get to until one of my users
sends netmail to somewhere, and I notice that the mail just sits there for 4 or
5 days.  The current problem seems to be host bbn-labs-b.arpa. I can't open a
connection on either 8.7.0.2 or 128.11.1.2. What I get are time-outs.

	The software we run is the Kashtan/4.1cBSD package under VMS.  We got itabout 2 years ago.  Dave has been helpful in getting us software that updates
our host tables.  I update to a new table as soon as I get the message from NIC.
	As I mentioned previously, the errors we see are "network unreachable",
or "connection timed out" while trying to send mail (Telnet and FTP do it also).Thank you for your information and offer to help.  Slowly but surely, things
are looking up.

Ron
------

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (10/19/84)

From: Ron Natalie <ron@BRL-TGR.ARPA>

Well, I would try BBN-GATEWAY.  Have you thought about the idea of default
routing and processing ICMP redirects.  I don't know if this is possible
under the code you are using.  What we do is send packets we don't know
how to send to one of the BBN core gateways and process the redirects.

-Ron

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (10/20/84)

From: Dennis Rockwell <drockwel@csnet-sh.arpa>

	From: Ron Tencati <TENCATI@JPL-VLSI.ARPA>
	Subject: Routes, pinging, ad infinitum...
	Date: 18 Oct 1984 1624 PDT

	Dennis,

		Paul Milazzo contacted me yesterday and helped me get
	my routes straightto RICE. I can now send to RICE and IAP,
	which means both of those networks are now "reachable". I
	usually don't know who I can't get to until one of my users
	sends netmail to somewhere, and I notice that the mail just
	sits there for 4 or 5 days.  The current problem seems to be
	host bbn-labs-b.arpa. I can't open a connection on either
	8.7.0.2 or 128.11.1.2. What I get are time-outs.

bbn-labs-b has been playing yo-yo lately, but it's usually up and running.
What are your routings to net 8 and net 128.11?  net 8 is reachable through
BBN-NET-GW (10.4.0.82), and 128.11 through bbn-cronus-gw (10.6.0.82).  If
that fails, try redirecting the mail to bbn-unix (10.0.0.82), which will
hold the mail for forwarding.  Hmm... are you having trouble getting to IMP
82?  Try some other hosts on those nets to check the routing.

		The software we run is the Kashtan/4.1cBSD package
	under VMS.  We got itabout 2 years ago.  Dave has been helpful
	in getting us software that updates our host tables.  I update
	to a new table as soon as I get the message from NIC.

Good practice.  I've been thinking of a special MMDF "rcvtrip" analogue that
catches the "new host table" messages and automagically grabs the host
table and do the munging.  Dreams....

		As I mentioned previously, the errors we see are
	"network unreachable", or "connection timed out" while trying
	to send mail (Telnet and FTP do it also).Thank you for your
	information and offer to help.  Slowly but surely, things are
	looking up.

Generally, "unreachable" means your routing tables are messed up (or a
gateway is out), and timeouts mean the packets are misdirected somehow.
Lots of nets (essentially everything except an 1822 net) will not complain
if packets are sent to bogus addresses.

	Ron
	------

Good luck!