[comp.object] Why should one use OO programming?

pcb@cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (12/12/90)

I know why (personally and through some papers).  I am looking
for more references to papers and books that have empirical and/or
good justification as to why I should use OO versus Procedural versus
Functional versus Logic....

I feel good about OO, but I want to be able to cite research in my
discussions as to the benefits of
   reuse, sharing, maintainability, ...

/*----------- Thanks in advance... --------------------------------------+
| Peter C. Bahrs                                                         |
| The USL-NASA Project                                                   |
| Center For Advanced Computer Studies      INET: pcb@swamp.cacs.usl.edu |
| 2 Rex Street                                                           |
| University of Southwestern Louisiana      ...!uunet!dalsqnt!gator!pcb  |
| Lafayette, LA 70504                                                    |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

dak@sq.sq.com (David A Keldsen) (12/13/90)

pcb@cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:

>I know why (personally and through some papers).  I am looking
>for more references to papers and books that have empirical and/or
>good justification as to why I should use OO versus Procedural versus
>Functional versus Logic....

The first part of _Object-oriented Software Construction_ by Bertrand
Meyer is, IMHO, very good and non-language-specific.  (The second
part uses Eiffel, his language).  After introducing Eiffel, he goes on
to discuss inheritance, some case studies of OO design and implementation
notes.  In the third part, he discusses applying OO techniques in
other languages.  Part 4 contains the appendices, which are overview
material on Eiffel.  Eiffel is really used primarily as an example
language, although I'm sure the author would not be terribly disappointed
if you chose to buy it after reading this book!

Pub. info.:
Prentice Hall
ISBN 0-13-629049-3
(or in paperback:)
ISBN 0-13-629031-0 PBK

I've never used Eiffel, but I like this book.

Dak
--
David A. 'Dak' Keldsen of SoftQuad, Inc. email: dak@sq.com  phone: 416-963-8337
  "You couldn't have it if you _did_ want it," the Queen said.  "The rule is,

rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez) (12/14/90)

Check out Grady Booch's new book "Object Oriented Design", 1991.  I
think it's published by Bertrand Meyer.

This book is about half a general discussion on the importance of
OOA/OOD/OOP and half on case studies using various OOP and near-OOP
languages.  It has a good discussion on identifying and classifying
objects.

-Ralph
(rgonzal@chowder.rutgers.edu)

wellerd@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (David Weller) (12/15/90)

In article <Dec.14.09.44.11.1990.7066@elbereth.rutgers.edu> rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez) writes:
>Check out Grady Booch's new book "Object Oriented Design", 1991.  I
>think it's published by Bertrand Meyer.
>      			 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gee, I think both Grady and Bertrand BOTH would be amused.  No, Ralph,
it is published by Benjamin-Cummings.  The ISBN is 0-8053-0091-0
Runs about $36.  I have heard that Grady highly recommends this book :-)

Honestly, it's a top notch book.  Take your Schlaer/Mellor book and your
Coad & Yourdon book, and use them for paperweights -- Grady's book
makes them look amateur.  Oh, one last comment:  Grady's book is
sprinkled with cartoons by Tony Hall...cartoons that cat lovers like
myself love.

Dave Weller.
Q:  How many Ada lawyers does it take to change a light bulb?
A:  Just a minute, let me check my LRM.