[comp.object] contact for Object Management Group?

buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) (12/26/90)

A recent issue of Unix Today! had a story "Object Management Guide Published",
describing the just published Object Management Architecture (OMA) Guide,
Version 1.0, from the Object Management Group (OMG).  The president of OMG
is Chris Stone, but the article fails to give any(!) contact information.
[Way to go Unix Today!...]

Does anyone have the address or phone number of the OMG, or information on
how to order the Guide?  And what is the consensus on the Group and its
architecture, etc.?

Thanks alot!

--
A. Lester Buck    buck@siswat.lonestar.org  ...!uhnix1!lobster!siswat!buck

david@mks.com (David Rowley) (12/27/90)

In article <585@siswat.UUCP>, buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) writes:
> A recent issue of Unix Today! had a story "Object Management Guide Published",
> describing the just published Object Management Architecture (OMA) Guide,
> Version 1.0, from the Object Management Group (OMG).  The president of OMG
> is Chris Stone, but the article fails to give any(!) contact information.
> [Way to go Unix Today!...]
>
> Does anyone have the address or phone number of the OMG, or information on
> how to order the Guide?  And what is the consensus on the Group and its
> architecture, etc.?
>
> Thanks alot!
>
> --
> A. Lester Buck    buck@siswat.lonestar.org  ...!uhnix1!lobster!siswat!buck

The Object Management Group (OMG) is a company in Framingham, Mass.  I
don't have the number with me, but directory assistance can help you out.

I just picked up a copy of the OMA and was a little disappointed.  It
all seems like very preliminary stuff, and largely just outlines the
Object server philosophy, defines terminology, and sets things up for
future Requests For Technology.  I do sense that there is 'vision' behind
their work, but I guess I'd like to see concrete results a little
sooner.  I also wonder if they have enough clout to define a standard
such as this.  HP is behind them, but acceptance of NewWave seems a little
slow.

Notably absent from the consortium is Microsoft -- I know they are working
on projects in this area -- I'd hate to see them come out with something
proprietary that really takes off.

I'll certainly be interested to see what comes of OMG's efforts, but
it looks like it will take a fair bit of time.

David Rowley.
--
     ll  // // ,~/~~\'   David Rowley
    /ll/// //l' `\\\     Mortice Kern Systems Inc.

bmp@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Brian M. Perkin) (12/27/90)

I'll post the address info for the OMG once I get back to work after
New Year's. Hope thats soon enough for you.

Brian Perkin

drew@objy.com (Drew Wade) (12/27/90)

Chris Stone, President
Richard Mark Soley, Ph.D., Vice President, Technical Director
John Slitz, VP Mktng
OMG
Framingham Corp. Center
492 Old Connecticut Path