[net.followup] clothes hanger metamorphosis

brian@sdccsu3.UUCP (Brian Kantor) (06/18/84)

[they might truely BE windmills...]

Those who remember the continuing conjecture regarding the metamorphosis
of paperclips, safety pins, coat hangers and bicycles that took place
here on the the net a few months back may be interested
in the pursuing the source of the affair: the other day I had occasion
to re-encounter the sci-fi story from which it all originated: Avram
Davidson's "Or All the Seas With Oysters".  The copy I have is in "The
Vintage Anthology of Science Fantasy: Twenty Stories in the Modern
Manner" edited by Christopher Cerf.  Enjoyable reading!

A brief excerpt (as permitted by copyright law):

"... Oscar, the safety pins are the pupa forms and then they, like,
HATCH.  Into the larval forms.  Which just look like coat hangers.  They
feel like them, even, but they're not.... All those bicycles the cops
find, and they hold waiting for the owners to show up ... they were
never made in a factory.  They grew."

Get it by all means.  Lots of other good stories too.

Maybe this should have been in net.bio??? :-)

--
	-Brian Kantor, UC San Diego

	ihnp4 \		Kantor@Nosc
	decvax \
	akgua   -----  sdcsvax  ----- brian
	dcdwest/
	ucbvax/

halle1@houxz.UUCP (J.HALLE) (06/18/84)

But that is all wrong.  Everybody knows that washing machines eat socks
(but only one out of a pair), which are then spontaneously reincarnated
in your closet as hangers.

ron@brl-vgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (06/19/84)

Actually, Art Buchwald wrote an article a while back on how all the
umbrellas in the house mutate into coat hangers some time before it rains.

-Ron

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (06/19/84)

The coat hanger multilplying joke was one of George Carlin's
earliest routines from the early 60's or late 50's, before
he became very well known.  I saw him do it back then and
choked on my Geritol laughing so hard.  It is true, however,
that if you place two coat hangers in a dark closet for about
six weeks, you will have at least forty when you look again.
All coat hangers are grown.  Has anyone ever actually seen
a coat hanger factory?  It is nothing more than thousands of
closets where the little rascals are bred.  The wooden hangers
that we have all found in our closets are the result of a
strange mutation that only occurs when a new garmet is placed in
with a bunch of normal wire hangers.  The ones with small paper
tubes making up the bottom rung are hangers that were removed
from the closet before the matured.  Plastic hangers are just
a sub-species of the wire hanger that was bred to serve as
a non-fertile substitute, sort of like mules, so that stores
would not have the problem of too many wire hangers breding
in their storage areas.

Is anyone interested in Flug, another Carlin discovery?

T. C. Wheeler

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (06/19/84)

> But that is all wrong.  Everybody knows that washing machines eat socks
> (but only one out of a pair), which are then spontaneously reincarnated
> in your closet as hangers.

Evolution in action!  When I was in college, beer can openers were the larval
stage of coat hangers.  The rise of the pop-top can and twist-off top have
forced coat hangers to develop another means of reproduction, and now the
can opener species is almost extinct.

Maybe I should have posted this to net.origins  :-)
--

	Bill Jefferys  8-%
	Astronomy Dept, University of Texas, Austin TX 78712   (USnail)

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) (06/20/84)

In article <862@houxz.UUCP> halle1@houxz.UUCP (J.HALLE) writes:
>But that is all wrong.  Everybody knows that washing machines eat socks
>(but only one out of a pair), which are then spontaneously reincarnated
>in your closet as hangers.

The way I heard it (I believe in the Journal of Irreproduceable Results)
is that hangers are born as paper clips, and they grow into bicycle
frames.  Maybe socks are the eggs, and washers are hatcheries?
--
			Barry Margolin
			ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics

gm@trsvax.UUCP (06/20/84)

#R:sdccsu3:-194200:trsvax:51500003:000:1342
trsvax!gm    Jun 20 15:43:00 1984

An article from a year ago should answer this question:

***** trsvax:net.misc / pyuxjj!rlr / 12:34 pm  May 19, 1983
Socks disappear in dryers because superior beings from another dimension
have lost odd socks of their own, and discovered our planet to be a
regular source of socks.  The space warp produced by a spinning dryer,
combined with the intense heat, opens an interdimensional portal through
which alien beings reach in and 'mine' for socks.  Other alien races are
subjugated by these beings and forced to work in the 'sock mines'.
Occasionally, a subjugated alien miner falls through the portal, and this
explains why weird people are often found near laundromats.  The Inter-
Dimensional Police are powerless, since Reagan will not sign a treaty with
them to extradite the aliens to the other dimension.  This is why they
must work undercover to find these escapees on our planet.  This is extremely
difficult, since they must repeatedly go back to the laundromat to put dimes
in the dryer (otherwise the interdimensional portal is sealed up). Got it?

(People claim that they never lose a complete matched pair of socks in such
interdimensional transactions, only unmatched pairs.  But then, how would you
know if a matched pair was lost, if you didn't find a sock that didn't have a
match?) (HUH?)

						Rich Rosen
-----------

hsc@lanl-a.UUCP (06/23/84)

  I thought that everyone knew that somewhere there is another diminsion
where people find three socks in the washing machine....

The Sorcerer's apprentice -- hsc@lanl-a

chris@umcp-cs.UUCP (06/24/84)

[Imagine the voice of Rod Serling:]

One morning, as Mr. Burns was late for work, he reached into the
dryer while it was still tumbling, to get some socks... and fell
into

	the place

	we call

	THE SOCK ZONE
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci (301) 454-7690
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@maryland