[comp.object] OO Graphics

garry@ithaca.uucp (Garry Wiegand) (01/26/91)

Cazier@mbunix.mitre.org (Cazier) writes:
>As a researcher involved with the management and integration of computer
>standards, what does the object-oriented world bring to the graphics
>standards and interoperability table?
>
>Will OO approaches to graphics somehow "solve" the interoperability issue
>between software packages re: sharing graphics files such as CGM or some
>other type of standard? If so, how?

I have not heard of anything along these lines yet - extending OO
concepts from memory data out into exchanged data. I can see how it
would make the metafiles more readily extensible, but everyone would
still have to agree on the basic structure and method before they
could start extending.

But besides the extensible datatypes, 3/4's of the point of OO
programming is the ability to modify/override instance methods.
There's no good way yet to exchange procedures between programs, so
it's hard to export methods.

(I've added comp.object to the newsgroups: line.)

Garry Wiegand    ---    Ithaca Software, Alameda, California
...!uunet!ithaca!garry, garry%ithaca.uucp@uunet.uu.net